PDA

View Full Version : Bluett Mando?

softshell
Mar-20-2004, 4:49pm
anybody here own a Bluett Mando? What do think about them?

Willie Poole
Mar-20-2004, 8:29pm
Softshell...I have been to Mark Bluett`s shop a few times to get some work done on my mandos and have played a few of his mandos and I will say this...I wasn`t impressed when I played them but when he picked them up and hit down on them I was greatly impressed...He is a fine luthier sna d a fine gentleman on top of that, no hard sell tactics, if you get to visit his shop ask him all of the questions you can and gain a lot of info...Also he has some understudies building for him, I don`t know if he sells any of their mandos or not but knowing him I would say they would have to come up to his standards before he would let them go...Oh yeah, one last thing...His prices ain`t low...If you know of a mando from other than from his shop, check with him on what they go for new...Good luck...`til later....Willie..Tell him I sent you....

Crowder
Mar-20-2004, 9:44pm
I met him at SPBGMA and played two of his mandolins. One was okay, and the other was really a good one. $5200 or whatever is pretty steep. I didn't think they were better than my BRW, which cost $2k less.

Salty Dog
Mar-22-2004, 10:43pm
Tom Benson of the Dyer Switch band from the Albany,NY area has played one for a number of years. #I have never played it but have heard him play it in a warmup room and on stage. #Tom plays very agressively and the sound he produces is really great with this mandolin. #It is not a Gibson sound but closer to the brighter sound of the BRW but I think he has to work harder to get that sound than I do with BRW #12. #Of course I'm not a tenth the mandolin player he is so that's just my opinion.

mandomick
Mar-22-2004, 11:04pm
I've had a Bluett F5 for a year now and it's everything I want in a bluegrass mandolin and has been since day one.

Softshell, you're not far from York, give him a call and pay a visit. True, they ain't cheap but I don't know of anybody else that offers a three month approval period. That is if you're not happy with your mandolin after playing it for 3 months, he'll build you another one.

revray01
Mar-23-2004, 1:29am
I've had my Bluett F4 for about a year and a half. I love it. The tone is great the playability is wonderful. However,I'm not primarily a bluegrass player though she can bark when prodded. Mark is great to work with and his workmanship is superb.