PDA

View Full Version : frank sinatra

John Rosett
Oct-30-2005, 2:17pm
the mention of frank sinatra on another thread got me thinking about this. for many years, i dismissed old frank, but when i started to really listen to him, i found that his genius is in his phrasing. he really had a great feel for when to come in with those big bands and lush arrangements. there's a lot to be learned on how to phrase a melody in jazz from old frank.
"the money's on the dresser, i'm through wid you."
-phil hartman as frank sinatra on SNL

Mike Bunting
Oct-30-2005, 7:40pm
Mandorose, I agree with you 100%, used to think he was a jerk but then I really heard him sing. The best. Phrasing, intonation, the whole thing.
"Give me one for my baby, and one more for the road..."
Oh, yes!

jmcgann
Oct-30-2005, 7:58pm
The Nelson Riddle Orchestra albums of the '50's like "Songs for Swinging Lovers" are just incredible! There are 3 or 4 reissued CDs on Capitol Records that are the pinnacle of Frankdom.

tstackho
Nov-01-2005, 9:38pm
I've been listening to "Standard Time" on Sirius Radio. I've had the same observation about not only Sinatra, but Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, Sarah Vaughn and others. There really is something to learn by listening to vocalists' phrasing, their dynamics and how to really deliver a melody. I think this is absolutely relevant to mando. Great stuff. Today I was listening to "Old Devil Moon". Came home. Got out the fakebook and had at it.

glauber
Nov-01-2005, 10:00pm
Oh yeah, great singers are indeed the standard we aspire too. They teach us so much. And the voice is the first and most important instrument. I was listening to a cd of blues songs done by Aretha Franklin way back then. Lordy! Billie Holliday too, just listen to her sing "God Bless the Child", or "Strange Fruit". Too cool for words.

Perry
Nov-02-2005, 9:25am
"The Nelson Riddle Orchestra albums of the '50's like "Songs for Swinging Lovers" are just incredible! There are 3 or 4 reissued CDs on Capitol Records that are the pinnacle of Frankdom."

Absolutely. "Songs for Swinging Lovers" is a favorite in our household. It swings BIGTIME. Frankly a must have!

Rick Schmidlin
Nov-02-2005, 10:19am
TRy listening to the Capital concept Album all are worth it and, Also listen to Billy Holiday from which Frank learned his phrasing.Then Duke Ellington 40/41 Blanton/Webster period, this is Nelson and everybody elses history book. When i talked to Scotty Moore and D.J Fontana this was the material this listened to. Also I am sure others did as well as this was POP music for it's time.Also listen to Ben Webster/Coleman Hawkin/Lester Young the mount Rushmore of Sax players.This phrasing DOES relate to the mandolin and will make you a richer player for it,

AlanN
Nov-02-2005, 10:27am
One of my fave Sinatras is the duet he sings with Jobim on Girl From Ipanema. Frank does it in English, then Jobim in Portugese, then they harmonize in English. Perfect.

John Rosett
Nov-02-2005, 10:42am
just to be clear, when i said "no actual mandolin content", i didn't mean that it didn't relate to mandolin playing. i think that all music is related, and that we musicians can learn a huge amount of music from everything, especially the great singers.
one of the projects on my list is a lap steel version of chet baker's version of "it could happen to you". his slightly out of tune singing is just beautiful to me, and ought to work perfectly with my slightly out of tune steel playing.