PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think?

Chrissy
Oct-28-2005, 2:10pm
I just got off the phone with a music store in Minneapolis and talked to a guy about a Mid Missouri mandolin. We talked about the M-1W model and the M-4W model. He said "they are all going to play the same, the only thing is, what kind of wood you want it made out of." He said he thought the wide would be best for a beginner. The prices he gave me were 555.00 for the M1 and 635.00 for the M4. he said they come with a case and a life time set up policy. The good thing about that is that I live in Minnesota so its close by where if I ordered somewhere else and they had the same deal...it does me no good as far as the set up goes. Is that an ok price or should I hold off? Any thoughts? Thanks.

bjc
Oct-28-2005, 2:55pm
Chrissy, from what I've seen the prices are pretty close to standard and free set ups are nice if the store is close to you. Mid-Mos have a good rep on this board, so it does not look like you'd be getting ripped off. Check the classifieds here though.

otterly2k
Oct-28-2005, 3:03pm
Chrissy-
Mid Mo's are great instruments... good choice...
I happened to see a used one for sale (an M2 listed as in near mint condition) on ebay at $375 (including case) and the seller is in St.Paul. Seems to me it'd be worth sending that seller a note to see if you could arrange to go and play it. Even though the auction is not yet over (so the price could go up) you might save yourself a bundle. The lifetime setup policy sounds good, but unless this is an unusual MidMo or you treat it carelessly, you probably won't need a whole lot of that. It's kind of like the extended warrantees offered by electronics stores...more often than not, it's not used. That's how it makes them money.

You can get used MidMos by watching ebay and the cafe classifieds.... they pop up fairly often... and they're pretty sturdy instruments. You can usually find them for $375-450 used.

otterly2k
Oct-28-2005, 3:05pm
FWIW- you might want to find out what the store charges for setup work that's not included with an instrument...and factor that into your decision-making

ab4usa
Oct-28-2005, 3:10pm
I started on a mid-mo and it was a great instrument (M11). I've got pretty big hands and didn't feel I needed the W (wide) option. Also, as you continue to upgrade mandolins, they will PROBABLY have a standard width nut. You might want to keep this in mind. Finally, Mandolin Bros usually have several on their web site and you might want to look there just to validate the price.

otterly2k
Oct-28-2005, 3:12pm
Mandolin Bros. is a great place, and I'm a fan (and a customer), but I will also say that their prices tend to be on the high side simply because of who and where they are. Scan a bunch of retailers to see what the price window is and where the price you've been given falls.

GBG
Oct-28-2005, 3:39pm
I agree that the wide models are not necessary or even desirable for most players. Not all Mid-Mo models sound the same. I had an M-2 (maple) once. If I get another Mid-Mo it will probably be one of the other woods-mahogany or rosewood. The maple may be better for classical music, but IMHO the mahogany, walnut, or rosewood is better for Celtic, oldtime, blues, etc..

Moose
Oct-28-2005, 4:56pm
Chrissy :For what it's worth(!?#) all the above are good "suggestions" - and I (IMHO) agree. You're on the right track - go slow - play - feel - listen ; I've never owned/played a Mid-Mo but from that I gather/read from this CAFE..., there good instruments. Yes, you might scan the CAFE classified for a "used" Mid-Mo ; IMHO(again) most folks on this BOARD are "straight-up" folks - only want to offer help in enjoying your mando AND music. Good luck & keep us "posted" - Moose http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

aries753
Oct-28-2005, 5:07pm
Chrissy, I have an M2 that I bought in May '05 new for $525 ($550 with tax).
They had the M2 and an M0 to choose from. Being of different woods they each sounded different to me. I liked the sound of the M2 better.
I don't know how the M1 and M4 would compare sound/tone wise. Play them both and pick the one that sounds the best to you.
Mine came with a gig bag.
Have fun!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Richard Russell
Oct-28-2005, 7:08pm
I bought one of the mahogany models, the M-0, new for $390 about 4-5 months ago. I purchased it at a local music store in Kent, Ohio. This is basically the M-1 without the binding. They offered the standard M-1 for $450. The instrument plays so well that it may have been set up at the music store. They do their setups for $45 plus string cost. It may pay to shop around a bit, but, check the price for the standard neck width model at this store. Also, mine did not include a case and that was an additional $30 from musician's friend (make sure they give you a hard shell case, not a gig bag). You will love your mid-mo, whatever you choose!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Chrissy
Oct-28-2005, 9:16pm
Thanks you guys!! I have been looking and looking for over a month now. I just need to get one and start learning how to play! I bought my car in less time than I am putting into this. You really had some good points to think about. You have been a big help. Thanks!