PDA

View Full Version : Another IV Kit

Burner
Oct-27-2005, 11:55am
Here is the piccy of my IV Kit. Spirit varnish finish - 5 coats brushed on in the unintentionally impressionist style. The pics make it look better than it is but at least it didn't break in two - Yet!

Burner
Oct-27-2005, 11:56am
Here be the back

Burner
Oct-27-2005, 11:57am
The recessed truss rod cover hewn from ebony and made to almost fit the recess!!!

mad dawg
Oct-27-2005, 12:05pm
Nice looking axe, Neil, and I really like your headstock. Did you have to plug the original tuner holes, or were they in the excess wood that you cut away?

JEStanek
Oct-27-2005, 12:43pm
You brushed on the Varnish? Did you sand between coats? Is that an Eastman Tailpiece?

Jamie

JEStanek
Oct-27-2005, 12:44pm
It looks really good. Nice binding on the back? Where did you get the binding material?

Jamie

Burner
Oct-27-2005, 1:37pm
In answer in order:
I did plug the original holes with dowle - a few are unfortunately visible on the side. I redrilled the new holes really badly despite being a careful as I could be!
I did brush on the varnish and did sand between coats but there are brush marks as if a demented toddler did the finish!
Tis an eastman tailpiece which i snaffled from the classifieds.
The binding, a horrible thick plastic, came from LMI.
I've been playing this this afternoon and apart from a weakish E string it sounds beter than I thought it would. This whole experience has increased my admiration for real builders no end

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mad dawg
Oct-27-2005, 5:15pm
In answer in order:
I did plug the original holes with dowle - a few are unfortunately visible on the side. I redrilled the new holes really badly despite being a careful as I could be!...
Looks like you did a good enough job to my eyes -- I cannot see any sign of the dowels, nor can I see any issue with the new holes. Nice work, and thank you for posting pics.

mario515
Oct-27-2005, 9:12pm
dude, thats a nice looking job you did on that kit, you really spruced up that ugly *** headstock real nice http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

WireBoy
Oct-28-2005, 4:07pm
Great job, i really like the new headstock - Very Breedlovish. and i really like the RECESSED truss rod cover idea.

dperry
Oct-29-2005, 12:04pm
That does look very nice. Very creative headstock and truss rod cover.