PDA

View Full Version : Roger Siminoff Book

bryan13
Mar-20-2004, 9:18am
Any on had a chance to take a look at the new Roger Siminoff book yet?
Bryan

Spruce
Mar-20-2004, 10:19am
Haven't seen it show up yet...
Should be interesting...

John Soper
Mar-20-2004, 10:36am
Still waiting on my order to arrive- apparently publisher's delay, but should be shipping this week.

Rob Powell
Mar-20-2004, 1:39pm
I emailed Hal Leonard since I have this on order with Amazon and this is what I was told..

Dear Rob,

Thank you for your email. This title should be out end of March/ beginning
of April.

We hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Hal Leonard Corporation

Their site says 3/25 but it had an earlier date at the beginning of the month and then it looked like it had actually been released....

Yonkle
Mar-21-2004, 10:25am
He owes me a book, he did send a bunch of blueprints from his new book, which look nice, but I have not got the whole book yet. JD

P Josey
Mar-21-2004, 1:49pm
I emailed him last week and he responded saying he would have the books Monday or Tuesday ( tomorrow or the next day). He said he would be shipping them out right away.
Yonkle, did you ask him to send the plans from the book? I've been all set to go since Jan. on two mandolins but want to look at his book, and especially the plans, before I start. I've been patient but am starting to get pretty frustrated with the wait.

Paul Josey

Brian Ray
Mar-21-2004, 2:42pm
I had the pleasure of playing the Mandolin Roger built for the book as well as seeing some of the diagrams from the book itself. It should be an excellent resource for builders... and it's a fine mando.

meyers
Mar-22-2004, 8:27pm
does the new book have everything the old one has?

RI Jim
Mar-27-2004, 9:27am
Hopefully not Bryan !!! That last book was #horrible to be brutally honest. It's funny seeing all the notes here with people anxiously awaitng the new one, hopefully #he sat down and worked out the details a little better. That last book props up a short leg on my workbench now. You could make some really, really bad mistakes following that text. Bob Benedettos book on archtops is 100% better and between that book and a few on-line forums, you could easily build a great mandolin. Better yet, just buy some tools and some wood and start building, it's much less frustrating making a #mistake on your own, and learning from that, than it is to follow a text that has hidden mistakes that do nothing more than frustrate . One thing you can do is head over to the Co-Mando guest of the week and print out all the builders interviews, staple them together in sections, and that is one heck of a source of information for you to have, and it doesn't cost a penny.

I'm still waiting for the ' Holy Grail ' #of books, one by Nugget, Monteleone , or Gilchrist ! To borrow a quote, ' That would be the cheese ' !! # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim

SANDERS
Mar-27-2004, 10:38am
Roger's book just arrived via priority mail in Troy, OH. #Will comment further later. #Have some reading to do!!
#John S.

Km1000seth
Mar-27-2004, 11:13am
This book that everyone is getting, Is it just a new version of "The Luthier's Handbook" or is it totaly separate?

crawdad
Mar-27-2004, 1:16pm
Its a totally different book.

Brookside
Mar-27-2004, 1:25pm
Ok, just got mine today. #It looks good at a glance. #He included a $5 credit towards any future purchases as a thanks.

By the way Jim, I wouldn't agree that the first book was "horrible". It was really just an overview of the process. If a person does some additional research and pays close attention it will get a greenhorn to the finish line. It has for many of us. I would agree that there are more qualified folks who could write an exhaustive reference book that I would prefer. However, they're probably too busy building mandos to mess with it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Sailermando
Mar-27-2004, 2:24pm
Woohoo, Just got mine about two minutes ago here in Durhan, NC!
Jack

Yonkle
Mar-28-2004, 1:02am
It is a separate book from the Luthiers Handbook see photo.. Got mine today. I agree the first book is a bit "cheezy" and I don;t agree with all the techniques, and there is a few things missing. This new one looks much better, more detail, and color photos too. The first book you could only build a Bluegrass Mandolin, but with this book it is The "Ultimate" Bluegrass Mandolin, so it's got to be better http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Yonkle
Mar-28-2004, 1:04am
Here a photo from it (Siminoff and The Big Mon)

John Jesseph
Mar-30-2004, 8:12am
I got mine yesterday, skimmed through it a bit. It is a significant improvement over the first one. I also got some tools from Sai Gao, so I spent more time with those... nice little finger planes! Anyway, the new book would be a decent resource for anyone to own, even if his techniques are a little out of the mainstream of current thinking...

crawdad
Mar-30-2004, 11:37pm
C'mon you guys! Lets hear an in depth review of this sucker! You tease us with generalities when we want more specifics! LOL! If you ever have the time, I'd like to hear more--really would!

Yonkle
Mar-31-2004, 11:39pm
OK Crawdaddy you win, this is a overall readers digest of the book.....It tells step by step how to build a mandolin http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Pretty cool aye?

crawdad
Apr-01-2004, 2:11am
Thats a condensed version of the readers digest version, Yonkie! I mean, how does it compare to the original? Is it everything you dreamed of and hoped it would be? Have you learned anything new from reading it, or have you even opened it up? LOL! Or do I just have to open my pockets and order a copy myself? Frankly, I don't want ot buy something that is of no use to me. C'mon bro--where's the "in depth" part? !! I bet you are too busy breakingi n #3 to read it!

The first version was a step by step how to build a mandolin too, remember? LOL!

yoyoecho
Apr-05-2004, 12:32pm
Did anyone order this book from Amazon? #I just check the order status and they are saying May 3th to the 29th. #I was wondering if others were also having this problem.

WJF
Apr-05-2004, 2:55pm
One thing of note is that on page 83 of the book the Cafe's own John Garrity has his "deflection jig" featured! Not being a luthier I have no clue really what it's all about but it's nice to see 'one of our own' featured in this way!