PDA

View Full Version : Disconnecting the hands from the brain

adgefan
Oct-25-2005, 5:32am
Does anyone have tips on being able to talk and play at the same time? Is this something you've always been able to do or is it something that needs work?

I've worked hard at being able to play tunes without thinking, just letting my "muscle memory" take over and my fingers do all the work. Unfortunately, I think I've gone too far as now I can only play lead in jams with a completely blank mind. I can't hand breaks to other people whilst I'm playing because the second I start thinking about something, my fingers stop playing the right notes. I can cope with making eye contact to pass around breaks, but too often people are staring at their instruments or floor and I need to shout their name. Then my break falls apart!

I fear the only answer is "practice", and I'll have to sit at home playing whilst talking to imaginary friends in the room...hmmmm.

arbarnhart
Oct-25-2005, 8:48am
When you're done with the break, why don't you just start playing rhythm? After a few bars, the next person will look up. After a couple of songs, that person will be paying attention when you have the break.

adgefan
Oct-25-2005, 9:28am
Yes, tried this. I've also tried telling people before I kick off a tune to make sure they keep eye contact with me if they want a break. I spend my entire break looking around the circle waiting for someone to look at me. Sometimes I'm lucky and someone looks at me, most of the time I either shout a name (tune falls apart as I stop playing) or don't hand over the break (tune also falls apart because everyone stops playing). Sometimes I just keep playing lead a second time through which probably gives the impression I think I'm special enough to lead the song all the way through (I can assure you this isn't the case!).

Ah, the wonders of playing in a beginners jam! At advanced jams I just ask someone more important to hand the breaks round. This works but I want to be able to do it myself one day.

Bertram Henze
Oct-25-2005, 12:25pm
Rumour has it there are people who can play and talk at the same time, but I have never seen it done. If it is possible at all, then only for the price of major personality disorders, I suspect. This subconcious musclework of the hands resemble so much the subconcious coordination of talking, that probably the same brain area is used for it. I do not recommend any kind of training against natural disposition - you'll probably end up looking very silly, or dead, or both, trying (ok, that's a citation from Douglas Adams).
Session process should come naturally with the feeling of the music, or else the session lacks basic benefits for the players - nobody's there to fight, after all.

Bertram

250sc
Oct-26-2005, 9:00am
I often practice while watching TV or listening to NPR on the radio and find it isn't necessary for me to concentrate on either of them enough to mess up my practicing. I do crash and burn when my wife talks to me while doing the other two things though.

Try practicing in an environment with some distractions or just go to more jams. I view jams as learning experiences and don't worry too much if I try something new and stumble. Don't worry about it too much unles your recording or playing an important gig.

Plamen Ivanov
Oct-26-2005, 9:49am
Hello,

I play in restaurants for years with my guitar colleague and sometimes, (even often) I realize that it`s already the end of the piece and I don`t have memories of the performance. Of course, we have played some pieces more than hundreds of times and I guess that`s the reason why it happens. I don`t speak while playing, but I totally "turn off" sometimes and the fingers are on their own. I think about quite different things than playing - family, work. And it`s OK - no wrong notes, everything is fine. I`m not quite sure, if this is what you are talking about. Just sharing my experience... I have never thought about it in fact, if this is good or bad, it just happens that way.

Good luck!

ira
Oct-26-2005, 10:13am
do you mean talking, singing, or both??? obviously, many sing while they play. as for talking the majority of guys with whom i've played talk to each other on stage while playing or during practice, and jamming. giving out chords, telling folks tempo changes, things like "last time around" some folks never look up in a jam, especially in rock or more expiremental/noodling types of situations, and speaking is the only way. i am not that great a mando player, but have been able to do this as well. maybe just a little relaxation would help???

adgefan
Oct-26-2005, 10:19am
I don`t speak while playing, but I totally "turn off" sometimes and the fingers are on their own. I think about quite different things than playing - family, work. And it`s OK - no wrong notes, everything is fine. I`m not quite sure, if this is what you are talking about.
Yep, that's it exactly! The worst thing is if someone talks to me during my lead (such as asking the key), I have to completely ignore them. If I give any sort of reaction to their question then I crash and burn. I have to just stare and wait for my break to finish. I must come across as incredibly rude. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Flowerpot
Oct-26-2005, 10:55am
There's no way I can talk while playing lead. It took a lot of practice to keep breathing!

But playing rhythm, that's not too bad, and I can hold a conversation OK. I once was playing in a pretty good jam and the banjo player leaned up while we were both keeping time, and asked if I thought the universe was really expanding. (He is a good friend, so he knew he could mess with my brain.) We talked about the cosmos until one of us had to take a break. Then in the next song, he said he wondered if any of the bystanders had any clue what we were talking about. Now that's a stretch for the ol' noggin, talking about dark matter and unified field theory during "Cluck Old Hen."

mandodebbie
Oct-29-2005, 5:36pm
When I started to teach myself mandolin a non-musical friend asked me how I "remembered" how to play any particular tune. This kinda irritated me as no one would think to ask an artist how they "remember" to paint certain brush-strokes of any particular subject on a canvas. In other words, I obviously create with my "ears", not with my eyes, when I am playing mando. The term "auto pilot" also comes to mind. However, I have noticed that I find it difficult to sing and note play at the same time. Strumming chords is relatively easy, but I have to really work on "back-up". (Of course it would help to find some other musicians to play with.) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

jim_n_virginia
Nov-03-2005, 10:31am
There are a bunch of fiddle tunes that seem to get played at every music jam I go to, I guess the regular traditional songs and I have played them SO much (and I still love'em!) that I can detach and my mind will wander while I am playing. I'll start thinking about what I gotta do tomorrow and stuff like that.

Most of those songs I know so well that I can play them so fast that the song become unrecognizable. (bad thing! showing off to me!)

Also talking while playing is not so hard, I learned how to do that when leading sing alongs with audience and you have to tell them the first line to each verse.

Like anything it just takes practice.

jim_n_virginia
Nov-03-2005, 10:34am
However, I have noticed that I find it difficult to sing and note play at the same time. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
My banjo playing buddy says that it is extremely hard to play banjo and sing also... weird http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Come to think of it I have never tried to sing and play a break at the same time! Might be intersting... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

kudzugypsy
Nov-06-2005, 10:05pm
i must be the weirdo in the bunch - it doesnt seem to affect me to chat and play or have other stuff going on. at lot of times on stage, there will be a lot more going on in your head than the song - i might be thinking about the PA level, making sure the bass player is in time, making sure i dont get hit with the headstock of the guitarist, looking at the girls, and having a short "conversation" with the dobro player...all while playing - its just like driving a car...think of ALL the stuff you have to do to drive down the highway - most people can shift gears, check the mirrors, listen to the radio, hold a conversation, etc..you just shouldnt try it all at the same time.

sunburst
Nov-06-2005, 11:27pm
My banjo playing buddy says that it is extremely hard to play banjo and sing also... weird
I play banjo, and I can testify that it is very hard for me to sing, talk, smile, or anything else while I'm playing anything more than basic rhythm.
My singing is confined to the baritone harmony on choruses, and I usually do the J.D. Crowe thing of stopping the banjo roll right on the beat, 2 beats before the beginning of the chorus, but there are times when a banjo roll through the chorus is what is needed. In those cases, the best thing for me to do is learn a very simple, basic roll pattern that follows the chord progression, memorize it, and play it exactly like that every time. Harder still is when the banjo roll kicks back in before the chorus ends.

Don't ask me a question during a banjo break and expect any sort of answer. I might be able to nod, but that's about it.