PDA

View Full Version : Pics of #1

aaronbrill
Oct-23-2005, 3:28pm
Well, I just took some pics of my #1, so I thought I would share. #This one was made from a Stew-Mac kit, and I am very happy with how it turned out. #There are a few little details that I try not to look too close at, but overall it's pretty good. #The tone is really terrific, I can't imagine what it will be like once it opens up. #

http://community.webshots.com/user/aaronbrill

It was too cold out today (40's) to play around with different angles and working with the reflections, I didn't want to risk cracking the finish on it. #So, not all of the flame shows up on the back of it at this angle, and the color is slightly off.

Aaron

HarmonyRexy
Oct-23-2005, 3:49pm
Very Nice.... You have a great reason to celebrate!!!!
It's wonderful that it sounds as good as it looks!!!!

Congrats!!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Cary Fagan
Oct-23-2005, 6:04pm
Look terrific. I'm no builder, but the finish looks especially good for a first. Congratulations.

JEStanek
Oct-23-2005, 6:33pm
I really like the color on the top. Good looking job.
Jamie

Burner
Oct-23-2005, 6:34pm
Nice looking job, well done!

ShaneJ
Oct-23-2005, 7:27pm
Aaron, that's VERY nice looking! Congratulations!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

BlueMountain
Oct-23-2005, 7:44pm
Your FIRST mandolin? Wow! Wildly impressive!

Stephanie Reiser
Oct-23-2005, 8:08pm
Very nice job, Aaron!
What did you use for stain and a finish?

Antlurz
Oct-23-2005, 8:08pm
Great first effort! I love that color. I know you said it's a bit off, but if it's close at all, it's great!

I think this is the first Stew Mac that I've actually seen and knew it was. I'd be interested to know what your impressions were of the kit. From all appearances it came out great!

Ron

aaronbrill
Oct-23-2005, 9:09pm
Thanks for the compliments. The color is pretty close in the first picture, the other pictures make it look a little too red. The colors were the ColorTone vintage amber and medium brown. They were mixed in alcohol and hand rubbed onto the bare wood. The finish is nitro lacquer.

While it is my first mandolin (not my last though), I have a couple of banjos under my belt that I honed my skills on.

Antlurz:
The materials that came in the kit were very nice quality. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again, but I want to do one from scratch next. I did end up modifying it by adding a true double acting truss rod instead of the one that came with it (just for peace of mind), but other than that it is all kit materials. I had to make some small adjustments to some of the "pre-fitted" parts to make things come out correctly. The way the fingerboard surface/peghead junction was planed, the 15th fret wouldn't have lined up with the crosspiece on the body. The rim was also slightly mis-shapen in regards to the center line, but I was able to get that straightened out during gluing.

Aaron

Lane Pryce
Oct-24-2005, 10:36am
Aron very nice mandolin and the wood looks great.How is the action and sound? Lp

aaronbrill
Oct-28-2005, 2:07pm
JLP-
The action is about 5/64" off the 12th fret on the bass side, and it really plays nicely. #Over the last couple days, I have noticed that "chop" chords have been really coming alive. #Definitely a keeper.

Aaron

Darren Kern
Oct-28-2005, 3:19pm
Nicest looking A style kit mando I've ever seen. Fantastic job!!!

Steve Davis
Oct-28-2005, 3:32pm
Great work. I love the looks.