PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Martin

Willis
Mar-19-2004, 12:12pm
A friend of mine in Holland sent this along:
From the net:

<<It is confirmed that Jimmy Martin has bladder cancer and will begin radiation treatment on Monday at Centennial Hosp. He must have 20 of them. Please keep him in your prayers and have everyone you know send him a card. I know it will help him.
For anyone who would like to send him a get well card, the address is:
Jimmy Martin
PO Box 646
Hermitage, TN 37076>>

Moose
Mar-19-2004, 1:47pm
Willis: Thank you for this info. Pls. 'update' as you may hear. May God Bless the King.

Scotti Adams
Mar-19-2004, 6:04pm
yep....sad but true.....a real bluegrass Icon....no doubt the yrs of over indulgance has finally caught up to Jimmy. I really hate to see it. We've got Jimmy, Mac, Jesse, Bob and Sonny, Ralph and Earl and thats about it from the old school thats still with us....Jimmy..and the rest of you for that matter...my prayers are with you...

Scotti Adams
Mar-19-2004, 6:09pm
Just got this off of the CBA Website:

A few days ago we reported in the Almost Daily News that Jimmy Martin went under the knife for bladder surgery. Today we’ve learned that he has been diagnosed with cancer of the bladder. The report is that Jimmy will begin radiation treatment immediately.

Known for many years as the “King of Bluegrass”, Jimmy Martin has been a controversial character in the world of bluegrass during his long career. And he’s also been an innovator whose influence on the genre will be felt for generations and generations to come. The California Bluegrass Association, and we’re sure all of its members, wishes Jimmy a speedy and full recovery.

If you'd like to send “the King” a get well card, he can be reached at:

Jimmy Martin
PO Box 646
Hermitage, TN 37076

Scotti Adams
Mar-19-2004, 6:10pm
SOMEBODY TOUCHED ME

(G) While I was praying, somebody touched me
© While I was praying, somebody (G) touched me
(G) While I was praying, somebody touched me
It must've been the (D) hand of the (G) Lord.

(G) Glory, glory, glory, somebody touched me
© Glory, glory, glory, somebody (G) touched me
(G) Glory, glory, glory, somebody touched me

(G) While I was singing, somebody touched me
© While I was singing, somebody (G) touched me
(G) While I was singing, somebody touched me

While I was kneeling, somebody touched me
Must've been the hand of the Lord.

Glory, glory, glory, somebody touched me
Must've been the hand of the Lord.

Willis
Apr-09-2004, 2:50pm
Here's an update from Jimmy's friend and director George Goehl:

Hello Jimmy Martin fans:

As many of you have probably heard, Jimmy was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer. He has begun radiation and chemical treatments, which will last six weeks. He is still playing shows and recently preformed at a fundraiser for the Birthplace of Country Music Alliance in Bristol, TN.

Jimmy loves to receive cards and letters. His mailing address is P.O. Box 646, Hermitage, TN 37076.

In more upbeat news, Thrill Jockey records is preparing to release “Don’t Cry to Me-Songs from the film King of Bluegrass” in early May. The soundtrack is packed with live archival recordings, many from the late 1950s and early 1960s, including tracks from the Louisiana Hayride, Sunset Park in West Grove, PA, and a cut from the first ever bluegrass festival in Fincastle, VA. These live recordings are really unbelievable. Jimmy, JD, and Paul sound SO good!
If you get a chance send Jimmy a card or letter, I know that he’d appreciate it.

George Goehl
Director-King of Bluegrass

Moose
Apr-09-2004, 3:20pm
Thank you for the update Mr. Goehl ; May God Bless the King! (and for reporting that the controversial - and blustry/much maligned founder of the "Jimmy Martin School of Bluegrass"..., did a fundraiser.., while taking his treatment(s) no less!! - They'll never be another like him. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif