PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Mandolins

neo mandolin
Mar-19-2004, 9:37am
Hey folks! As a new guy on the mandolin, how good are Rogue Mandolins? I'm getting one for about 100 bucks to start out on.

Don Grieser
Mar-19-2004, 10:36am
I bought a couple of these for beginner students. One came with a decent set-up and one I had to re-cut the nut slots to make it playable. The bridges aren't great, and they are put on with double sided tape which makes moving the bridge to get the intonation correct a little difficult. You might want to replace the bridge eventually. You should take it to someone who can help you set it up if you don't know how to do it, and you'll have a good starter mando.

neo mandolin
Mar-19-2004, 10:52am
Great. Yeah I plan to take it up to the "Guitar Room" to have the guy there look it over and set it up. He's got a good rep for workmanship on instruments. I figured to start out on I would go with something that wasn't pricey but at the same time I didn't want to get a peice of junk. Got a hardshell case to go with it for about $30 bucks as well. Thanks Don!

Mar-19-2004, 11:12am
Actually, I prefer these much more than the Johnsons. As Don said the bridges are sorry & prone to break at the 90 degree corner on them. At your convieniance file a radius in that corner & super glue it.......it will probably never break with that preventative treatment.

Mar-19-2004, 11:17am
Right in these corners are where they a prone to break.

garyblanchard
Mar-19-2004, 11:59am
I have the impression, but no facts to back it up, that some of the "Rogue" line might be made by Johnson. I had a Rogue acoustic/electric resonator guitar that looked exactly like the Johnson model, with a slightly different pick-up. It played well, but I traded it for a completely acoustic model.

Mar-19-2004, 12:09pm
It could be a Johnson, but the last & ONLY Johnson I had was different from the Rogues....I've not had a recent Rogue. I grab them on ebay with a hardshell case when they are just to cheap to resist.

*For the record, the only reason I keep one of these is for our local mando teacher who has students that can afford no more. They are used & I am not a Dealer for any imports.....not that there is anything wrong with that.*

brian2
Mar-20-2004, 9:54am
I don't have any experience with Rogue Mandolins, but the Rogue Amp I have is great. 50 watts, great for miking my Mandolin, Guitar, Banjo, or Vocals. Got it for $129. Do you know that Rogue makes an F-style you can get for $199 new? That shocked me when I saw it. Well, good luck with your instrument, Neo Mando.
Brian

#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif