PDA

View Full Version : Another Set Of Schallers Bite The Dust

straight-a
Oct-18-2005, 2:25pm
Well, I've had my A-9 almost two years. I LOVE the mandolin but the second E string knob has come loose. A shame. I've never had any problems with it tuning-wise and now I have to put out the $$ for new tuners. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Oh well, I hear the Grovers are much better......

Nathan Sanders
Oct-18-2005, 2:37pm
I had a funny thing happen a few days ago to my A-9. It's a 2004 model and I've had it a few months. Anyway, no big deal really, but the screw that holds the tuning knob on fell out while I was playing. This was on the second A-string. I'm just glad I found the screw. So, are these Schaller tuners on the A-9? I was wondering.

straight-a
Oct-18-2005, 2:41pm
Those should be Grovers. The Schallers do not have screws. Gibson started putting the Grovers on a year or so ago due to the problems with the Schaller knobs.

Nathan Sanders
Oct-18-2005, 2:44pm
Ah..I see...cool. Losing a screw is the only problem I've had so far. The A-9 is a great mandolin! I've been getting some real good use out of it lately, and it just gets better and better.

straight-a
Oct-18-2005, 2:56pm
I feel the same way. I love the woody tone that it has and it just continues to open up and improve. The Schaller problem is a common thing from what I've seen in some other threads.

Tom Smart
Oct-18-2005, 3:23pm
Assuming the knob itself isn't broken, you can just super-glue it back on.

Hans
Oct-18-2005, 3:24pm
If they are Schallers, a dot of superglue would be a fix, but Gibson or Grover should be able to supply you with a new screw if they are Grovers...and a dot of superglue on the other end would help. I've never had the buttons come loose on Schallers.

Jim Hilburn
Oct-18-2005, 3:42pm
I had one come loose on my A. I just superglued it and it's been fine ever since. I'm just glad it wasn't at a gig.

ronlane3
Oct-18-2005, 4:17pm
The ones with screws are grovers and that is the one thing that a builder friend of mine said that no one thinks to tighten on the grovers. I must admit that I didn't think about it until he said something and now I am mindful of this and try to make sure to check them at least once a month.

PaulD
Oct-18-2005, 5:00pm
Gibson or Grover should be able to supply you with a new screw

I think if you're the original owner it should be warranteed by Gibson. It's probably worth calling them. Of course, they may tell you to send them the mandolin so they can put a screw back in, but it's worth the call and you can always decline! I've never called Gibson for any warranty work, so I don't know how they would handle something small like this (or if they would).

pd

A9cp
Oct-22-2005, 8:01am
Same thing happened on my 1999 A9, darn thing just fell off. Glue to the rescue, no problems since.

BlueMountain
Oct-22-2005, 9:09pm
If you have loose screws, it's an easy fix. Use the fix photographers use on expensive cameras. Back out the screw until you can see the threads, put a little dot of fingernail polish on the threads, and screw in the screw before the polish dries. Use clear polish, of course. The cheapest bottle you can find is just fine, like $1. I still have a bottle I bought 30 years ago, and it works fine (I don't use it on my nails, so it lasts.) It locks the screw in place, but it's still easy to unscrew once the slight bond is broken. Beats putting in a new set of tuners.

Big Joe
Oct-22-2005, 11:29pm
Lost screws are not a warrantee item. Even worse, we have inquired about these screws from Grover and they have not been able to provide us with extra screws at this time. Yes, I am frustrated about this, however, the tuners themselves are a big advantage over the old ones we used, and not just because of the buttons.