PDA

View Full Version : My Red Diamond

Dfyngravity
Oct-15-2005, 12:49pm
Here are some pics of my custom Red Diamond F5. It is a little different from the standard that Mr. MacRostie builds. There is no binding on the back, fingerboard or peg head and there is no inlay on the peg head either. The back is all one color, it is much darker in person, its a darkish red brown and the front is a small dark sunburst which was kind of modeled after the Steffey Gibson mandolin. The finger rest or pickguard was just added by Mr. MacRostie durning the summer when I shipped it back to get the finish redone because my old stand started to eat away the finish on the contact points.

As for the sound, it's by far one of the best mandos I have ever played and I have played lots of em. I has just the sweetest tone and has great volume to go along with it. The chop very good, even with the action as low as I have it( I had the neck angle pitched forward a bit to get some extremely low action with NO buzzes at all!).

So here it is:

Dfyngravity
Oct-15-2005, 12:53pm
back:

Dfyngravity
Oct-15-2005, 12:57pm
Headstock:

Dfyngravity
Oct-15-2005, 12:59pm
last one, the scroll:

nigelgatherer
Oct-16-2005, 2:11pm
I've been lucky enough to play a Red Diamond F - fairly extensively at that, although it's not mine - and I loved it. I still have an ambition to own one in the future, but it's a long way off at this moment. Yesterday I played an Red Diamond A style, and it just reminded me what a great builder Don MacRostie is.

Anyway, good looking mando, Dfyngravity, and glad to hear you're enjoying it!

Jason Kessler
Oct-16-2005, 5:20pm
VERY pretty. Personally, I really love unbound fretboards. Something about that rolling lawn of ebony...

Dfyngravity
Oct-16-2005, 8:55pm
F4Fake-I am right there with you. I am not a very big fan of a bound fingerboard either. I think it's because I love the way a Martin D-18 guitars looks.

Thanks for the good words! I love this mandolin, and hopefully in the future I can get another...it will probably be a vintage one.

JD Cowles
Oct-17-2005, 12:59pm
dfyn-
very nice. i like the unbound back-it reminds me of a real pretty F5G i had some years back. enjoy that beaut!
jd