PDA

View Full Version : Amplification

deadend3
Oct-14-2005, 5:16pm
Hey Everybody,

I play mandolin in a Celtic trio (Mando, Guitar and Banjo) and also with a 4 piece band (Drums, Bass, and Guitars) doing popular Irish songs. I recently bought a Mid-Mo M11 and I love the sound of it. I am trying to figure out the best way to amplify it. I am torn between picking up a condenser mic or installing the manufacturer recommended McIntyre Feather Contact Pickup and getting a pre-amp.
Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks!!!

glauber
Oct-14-2005, 5:30pm
Following the manufacturer's recommendations is always nice.

handpicked
Oct-14-2005, 7:49pm
I'm certainly no expert, but I like my AKG c1000s condensor mic...built in 9 volt battery, so phantom power is not required...if you position it correctly you can play mando and sing into it simultaneously, and it doesn't pick up anything much more than 3 feet away from itself...maybe not the mic aficionado's (did I spell that right??) choice, but works for me...

deadend3
Oct-23-2005, 8:22pm
Has anyone ever tried the McIntyre Feather Contact Pickup?

John Flynn
Oct-23-2005, 9:48pm
I have played one on a Mid-mo M-4, plugged into a high-end acoustic amp. It sounded good for a pizeo. But a microphone is always going to sound better.

mandroid
Oct-23-2005, 11:10pm
In-Bridge or Soundboard, piezos are always in contact, or compression, thats how they "hear" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif