PDA

View Full Version : Played a Weber Beartooth yesterday

Jack Roberts
Oct-14-2005, 11:07am
I stopped by Blue Note in San Luis Obispo to see if I could play a new National Mandolin. They didn't have one, but they did have a few other mandolins, including a Beartooth A. I don't know if it was the traditional or the standard, but it was a very nice sounding mandolin, and one of the easiest to play I've tried. The notes just poured out. Loud, clean sound with excellent consistency of timbre on all four courses. Good work from the guys and gals in Montana!

Also saw a stunning blonde MF5 at Gryphon in Palo Alto later in the day, but I didn't have time to play it. Next time...if it's still there....

Ken Berner
Oct-14-2005, 11:41am
The Weber Beartooth is a terrific mandolin. I obtained mine new in '99 as my first "real" mandolin, and it has been a true joy. My other "A" is a '93 Flatiron A5 Artist, which is a totally different animal, although both are X-braced. The Flatiron is a little louder with more punch and the Beartooth is a warmer, sweeter sounding instrument. Check out the backside of this beauty on the STE web site, under players pictures (about page 4 or 5). Pricewise, I don't think you could purchase a nicer product!