PDA

View Full Version : Mando in Springsteen

jasona
Oct-14-2005, 4:27am
Just got a copy of Devils and Dust and was surprised to hear some nice rhythm mando on the cut Maria's Bed. Very tastefully mixed in I think.

(BTW, this is a great album, in the spirit of Nebraska. Check it out)

Larry S Sherman
Oct-14-2005, 6:36am
In Bruce's album credits you see both Bruce and Steve Van Zandt listed as playing mandolin. Whenever I've seen the Boss live I've only seen it played by Little Steven.

On L.S.' website he lists 3 "Ovation Adamus-style Mandolins" among his arsenal of guitars.

Larry

And I agree about Devils & Dust-great as usual!

Dave Gumbart
Oct-28-2005, 12:44pm
Intersting tidbit - I just got a call from a friend in Boston (I'm in Connecticut), and he has an extra ticket for Springsteen tonight at the Garden. I'm not a huge Springsteen fan, but I like most of his stuff, and he's a legendary performer. So, I'm heading up later this afternoon (wow - being spontaneous - marriage and kids sure takes that out of you, huh?). It's an acoustic show this time around, and I checked Bruce's web site to see what the shows are like. Apparently he's been playing a ukelele on a tune called "Growin' Up." Hope he breaks it out tonight. Or, hey, maybe it was a mando and the person writing the review had no idea. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. If there's mando or uke content to report, I'll post later this weekend.

Dave Gumbart
Oct-29-2005, 12:49pm
Saw a great show last night in Boston from Bruce. #He did indeed break out a ukelele for one tune, Growin' Up. #A fun song as part of an encore, Bruce played the uke well, if not exactly as well as Jake playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps (worth a Google search for that clip, by the way). #But he certainly can do it all - acoustic and one or two electric guitar numbers (hollow body archtop I think), piano, pump organ, harmonica and the uke. #He's also broken out a banjo in this tour, apparently. #Worth the trip.

Oh yeah - after the show we went to a pub called the Black Rose, and an Irish trio was playing some great tunes with acoustic guitar, fiddle and bass. Add some bagpipes on the occasional number to top off an extended evening of live music.

Bob DeVellis
Oct-29-2005, 3:26pm
Apparently, Bruce also has a Sobell cittern. It seems he heard someone playing one, and said he had to have one, too. You can read the story here (http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/thejournal/thejournal/page.cfm?objectid=14772508&method=full&siteid=50081).