PDA

View Full Version : Ashland and Louisville Breakdown

sgarrity
Oct-13-2005, 9:28pm
I just got a copy of the Ultimate Pickin' cd. It has various songs from the Pinecastle "Bluegrass '96-99" cd's. When I heard the song the first time, I thought it was Ashland Breakdown. Then when I look at the cd case, its listed as Louisville Breakdown by Monroe. The A part sounds identical, while the B might be a little different. Any info on these?

Thanks,
Shaun

Peter Hackman
Oct-14-2005, 3:44am
You can hear the originals on American Traveller
(County). If I remember right Ashland is in C, and Louisville
in G; the former emphasizes the subdominant and relative minor
chords, and has a more danceable beat to it.

evanreilly
Oct-14-2005, 8:49am
Ashland is also a three part tune; Louisville a two part tune.

evanreilly
Oct-14-2005, 8:54am
Of interest also is the fact that Monroe does not play all three parts of 'Ashland'; he does not play the first part.

Pete Martin
Oct-16-2005, 12:48pm
The first phrase in part A of both is pretty close to the same, after that they are different. Just shows that each musician has a handful of music ideas that we use a lot.

Rawhide and Bluegrass Breakdown are very similar in the beginning as well.

Peter Hackman
Oct-17-2005, 2:45am
The first phrase in part A of both is pretty close to the same, after that they are different. Just shows that each musician has a handful of music ideas that we use a lot.

Rawhide and Bluegrass Breakdown are very similar in the beginning as well.
And Rawhide, bars 9-16, is very similar
to Monroe's solo on Back Up and Push from the Victor sessions.
The key is the same, too, C.

David M.
Oct-19-2005, 1:56pm
Art Stamper does L'ville Breakdown in G. Nice version on his Piney Woods record (I think it was that record...).

I always get Ashland and Monroe's "Lee's Weddin' March" confused when the kick off. they kick off real similar.

by the way, these are tunes, not songs http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif