PDA

View Full Version : Thank You For My New Mandolin....

Mike Buesseler
Mar-18-2004, 9:56pm
I guess this is as good a place to post this as any....

I get so much helpful information and advice from this website and the people who contribute to it, it's hard to know who to thank or how to thank them. #Saying thank #you is one way, and so, THANK YOU ALL for your generosity.

Another way, I hope is contribute whatever I might have to offer of my own, however limited my experience might be.

I recently posted some questions about choosing a replacement bridge for my Gibson A. #Lots of people chimed in with info on wood types, styles, etc. # Being someone who hates to always accept the Conventional Wisdom, I had to try a fixed maple bridge...a disappointing failure, IMHO. #

But, taking the best of Red Henry's research and that contributed by Peter Coombes, I got Vern Brekke to modify one of his ingenious (whether you like them or not, they ARE ingenious) ebony bridges for me and installed it today.

This old (20s) A mandolin has always been exceptional, but man, today I got me a NEW MANDO!! #What a difference! #I am so delighted, well I just had to write this to somebody.

Now, I am not insisting that this is THE BRIDGE everyone should try, I'm just saying it sounds WORLDS better than the old (broken) adjustable rosewood model I replaced. #I get MUCH more sustain and sweetness, more volume, just plain MORE and BETTER of everything I think this old mandolin is capable of. #

So, again, thanks for the input, everyone. # If you want to experiment with the sound of your mandolin--probably especially with the older, less expensive ones (these things are more than likely worked out pretty well on the top-enders), try a different bridge. #It sure worked wonders for me today! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif