PDA

View Full Version : My New (Old) Mando!

wmferg
Oct-12-2005, 1:08am
Well, My first attack of MAS.

Bought this beauty...just had to have it. 1920's Lyon & Healy Model C. Just got her today, have barely been able to put her down. Going to Dallas tomorrow and gonna have to leave her home. Too nervous to try to take her on the plane with me. Gonna take my Fender.

Anyway...I'm thinking maybe I should take this to a professional to hav it "set-up". Any thoughts....?

Mike

Jason Kessler
Oct-12-2005, 7:36am
She's a beaut, Mike.

From what I've read here at the Cafe, a good pro set-up can make all the difference.

phynie
Oct-12-2005, 11:33am
Mike, nice mandolin!!!! I play a l&h C too. don't worry about bringing it on a plane. It is small enough for carry on. I have NEVER had any trouble.
As far as a set up, do it. It does make a difference. Not as much on sound, but in playability. It is worth the cash to have it set up to your playing style.

I have a question though. do you have pics of the back? My great grandfather worked there in the teens and 20's. the mando I have was his personal instrument. It has a blonde back and an ivoroid cap on the heel. Due to the l&h records being harder to find than the holy grail, I am not sure if this was custom or not. I have never seen another like it. Anyhow, can I see your backside? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Daniel Nestlerode
Oct-12-2005, 1:41pm
Love the headstocks on these mandos. Congats Mike! Enjoy it!

Daniel

wmferg
Oct-19-2005, 12:02am
Hey Phynie,

Here's a pic of the back. Curly Maple. Nice bit of flame.

Mike