PDA

View Full Version : The green two point- done

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 6:13pm
The new two point emerald green one is done. Trying to post again. Pardon me if this isn't working right now.

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 6:15pm
Well, that worked. Sheesh. I've only been working with computers since 1979 and I can't post a picture properly the first try. Duh. Anyway, pardon the photography. It's just shot on our sofa, but you'll get the idea.

Next photo:

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 6:20pm
Well, man I'm not doing well here with my posts. Here, I hope is the headstock. I keep forgetting to put up the smaller version and then nothing flies. My fault.

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 6:23pm
Perhaps I'll get it right this time first try. A shot of the back of the whole thing. The entire mandolin is quilted from Spruce. Two piece back, which turned out much better than I'd hoped for. Quilted doesn't carve or act the same as curly, where things are (mainly) mirrored. Not bad though. Thanks Bruce.

groveland
Oct-11-2005, 6:25pm
Awesome.

kyblue
Oct-11-2005, 6:27pm
Looks like a gem! I like that you didn't cover the oval hole with the pick guard.

Gail Hester
Oct-11-2005, 6:28pm
Wow Dale, that's just beautiful. I really like that green and everything else about it.

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 6:29pm
Hmm. I seem to be getting this down. The final shot- a closeup of the back (I hope). Thanks again to Bruce. Wonderful wood. A bugger to work but well worth it. This instrument, for what it's worth, is the first oval hole I've done, first Engleman top, carved to F5 Specs 'cause I didn't know what else to do, and then to make sure it was going to be stable between bridge and tailpiece, I x-braced it. My first at that also. It sounds pretty good, if I dare say so. Man, these oval holes sound so different from f-holed instruments.

Anyway- closeup of the back. This guy will be at IBMA. NFS.

tope
Oct-11-2005, 7:02pm
Looking good Dale. That second pic of the back really brings out the quilt better.
Good Job kid! Glad you got it done today. Where are the side pics Dale?

B. T. Walker
Oct-11-2005, 7:06pm
Dale! That is spectacular. The green came out beautifully, and that quilted back...my, my, my. It's going to cause a splash at IBMA.

phynie
Oct-11-2005, 7:25pm
Dale, it looks AMAZING!!! #The green is too cool! #It really helps that quilt pop out on the back. #Beautiful work and beautiful wood.

phynie
Oct-11-2005, 7:27pm
Is that a james tailpiece? looks sharp!

jasona
Oct-11-2005, 7:43pm
Wow--I love the abalone block inlay with the green too. That back is stunning! I'll be the first to say how I'm green with envy... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ShaneJ
Oct-11-2005, 8:01pm
Dale, that is awesome! Congrats!

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 8:17pm
Gary- thanks. I tried a side shot but it sucked and I didn't post it.
Brian- yours will should look equally green! Just curly instead of quilted.
To all else, thanks. I'm real pleased with the results. I just spent 45 minutes with it on the deck out back- My, it is not an f-hole instrument. My wife says she can't really tell the difference. Hmm. She grew up an hour south of Nashville and her family plays bluegrass. But she also does harp singing. So who am I to criticize the ability to differentiate between slightly different sounds?

Thanks to all.

Dale Ludewig
Oct-11-2005, 8:21pm
Oh, by the way- it is a James tailpiece. Seemed to fit this model better that the Allen models which I've been using all along.

Dale

JEStanek
Oct-11-2005, 8:40pm
Dale, Very nice work. I'm sure it'll bring in plenty of green too! That's a beauty - design, inlya, color. Total package.

Go oval!
Jamie

JGWoods
Oct-12-2005, 2:57pm
I like the finger rest with the cutout to match the oval hole. I always wondered why they didn't do that from the gitgo, it seems so logical.
Some Notre Dame grad will grab it soon no doubt...

JEStanek
Oct-12-2005, 3:21pm
Dale, not for sale... green with envy.
Jamie

Big Joe
Oct-12-2005, 3:34pm
Hey Dale....BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the looks and I love the green. I've wanted to do a green mandolin for a long time. Now I can look at your picture http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

Antlurz
Oct-12-2005, 4:25pm
That green color is a knockout on that backboard wood, and the way you matched the end of the fretboard with the finger rest is totally trippindicular!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Great blend of lines!

Ron

Michael Gowell
Oct-12-2005, 4:38pm
I believe it was Kermit the Frog {Seseame Street} who sang
"It isn't easy being green..." #There might be a mando adaption available there. #Wait a minute, wasn't there a long-ago thread about little ceramic figures of frogs playing mandolins...unhh...sensing convergence of forces...

Dale Ludewig
Oct-12-2005, 6:26pm
Hey Big Joe, thanks. But I'd like to see the day Gibson would come out with a green one. I think I (and about a thousand other people) would fall over. I'll have it with me at IBMA and perhaps we'll git together with it. And a MM. I'll see you there.

Thanks Antlurz, and all the rest. By the way, Ron, your tag line should be tatooed into my forehead. Except that that would just remind her. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

mad dawg
Oct-13-2005, 1:01pm
Nice work Dale -- looks like it would be perfect for picking some Irish!

van
Oct-14-2005, 10:40am
I love it Dale, A+! I wanted to do an oval on my #9 but went with the F-holes. Now I wish I had went with the Oval. Ain't it fun to be a Luither? Makes life worth living. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandobsessed
Oct-14-2005, 11:42am
That mando looks absolutely amazing. My keyboard is covered in drool. (and no I haven't touched a banjo)

BlueMountain
Oct-15-2005, 5:31pm
I love the headstock design and the pickguard.

Mark Walker
Oct-23-2005, 10:50am
Beautiful! Reminds me a little bit of a purple Silver Angel Ken Ratcliff made for a guy's wife about a year ago!

flairbzzt
Oct-25-2005, 10:35am
Very nice-btw, how much for the couch? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Dale Ludewig
Oct-25-2005, 7:52pm
Richard, you'd have to ask my wife about that. She bought it. But it's long enough that even old 6'2" of me can lay done betweed the arms. Also remember the people that delivered it had to stand it on end to get it through the door way. Made it by a half inch. I thought I was going to have to take out the picture window.

So, I'm in a motel on my way to Na$$$$hville. Greenie is with me. Then a couple blue ones, an EL mando, an EL mandola. Oh yeah, there's two "regular" looking one also. This should be a blast. No sleep til next Sunday night. Well worth it.

kyblue
Oct-28-2005, 10:02pm
This mando looks even better in person, and sounds great, too.

Enjoying IBMA,

Paula

Big Joe
Oct-28-2005, 11:08pm
Yes it does! It is even more beautiful in person than in the picture and it sounds great. A good jazz style mandolin. Dale has some cool mandos with him. It was a joy to see and play them!

rmcintos
Nov-04-2005, 4:23pm
Oh my...looking forward to meeting it.
Rob

F5G WIZ
May-16-2006, 10:04am
I recently got to spend the whole day with Dale when I was on a visit to Chicago for work. I instantly fell in love with this Mando. The green color is just amazing and to top it off it is housed in a green Calton case with green felt lining! Being a Bluegrasser I'm not usually attracted to styles other than traditional F5 stuff. But when I opened the case to this mando, I was GREEN (excuse the pun) with envy! I will own one some day. May cause a divorce but so be it! And the sound was just amazing. DAle had at least a half dozen instruments for me to play but this one just drew me in. Wonderful, wonderful instrument! Here are a couple pics.

F5G WIZ
May-16-2006, 10:05am
By the end of the day I had traded in my Gibson hat for a Ludewig Mandolin hat! Me and Dale and Buster too.