PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a professional quality Mandolin

brian2
Mar-18-2004, 5:02pm
One of these days, I will probably move up from my Fender to a more professional quality Mandolin. I haven't played all that many. I know I played a Breedlove and didn't like it at all. I'm thinking about a Gibson, but I don't want to spend that much. Recommendations? Thanks a lot,
Brian

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Flynn
Mar-18-2004, 5:08pm
How much are you looking to spend and what kind of music do you play? Those are critical factors in moving up. Assuming that your range is "more than a Fender, but less than a Gibson A9" and you want a good mando for all kinds of music, I would definitely look at the Weber and Michael Kelly brands, as well as the used market in that range. My recommendation is that you try a lot of mandos out and see what you like.

brian2
Mar-18-2004, 5:24pm
I'll describe my range in depth; More than a Fender, less than a Gibson F9. Between $500 and $1200. I play Bluegrass, and want an F-Style. I have been looking at Weber's and Michael Kelly's. I played a Michael Kelly and was considerably impressed. I #haven't had the chance to play a Weber yet, though. There aren't any dealers in my area that sell good quality Mandolins. Most, the best they sell is Johnson. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Thanks,
Brian

#http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Flynn
Mar-18-2004, 5:43pm
If it were me in that price range, looking for an F, I would go for a new, top-end MK with all the trimmings (nice case, solid tailpeice, etc.) and full set up from a good mando luthier. In a Weber F, you are looking at a Gallatin, which is nice, but personally, for the money, I would prefer the MK over the Gallatin or any of the other options out there.

Tiderider
Mar-18-2004, 5:59pm
Check out Dale Carter's "Spring Cleaning" in the classifieds, I bet he can get you into a nice mandolin for your price range. #I have no finacial interest in this unless Dale throws me a bone for the ad.:) (no as-per-grass please)
Lee

August Watters
Mar-18-2004, 8:10pm
Sorry, but I don't think there are any "professional level" F5s in this price range. Lots of folks on this list will tell you the MKs are the best of them -- and Scott reminded us recently that even with MKs, you might get lucky and find a killer. Good luck!

August W

GTison
Mar-18-2004, 8:41pm
Make sure the fender is set up as well as it can be. In my opinion unless you move up in price for an F model, you'll be looking again not long after you buy that one. Or worse yet fall in love with a poor sound. play alot. a whole lot before you plunk down a thousand or 2. I think I'd recomend a good A style. If you play one you may forget about that scroll (at least for a while) I have the scroll but i've thought about getting an A because you can get so much more of an "A" mando than my 2nd mando which is a jap.f . It is hard to receive advice so good luck and much patience.

Dioptase
Mar-19-2004, 1:38am
More advice to go with a nice A style at that price. And to play many styles before you buy. Lots of great instruments out there. MK, from my experience as an owner, isn't one.
Micah