bluegrassplayer
Oct-11-2005, 1:50pm
What is the correct left hand position?
Do you hold it above the strings, or do you let it
rest on the strings behind the bridge?

Micah

Tom C
Oct-11-2005, 2:09pm
You must mean the other left hand. I hold it above the string but my lower palm/wrist may gently brush over bridge when I play.

bluegrassplayer
Oct-11-2005, 2:18pm
Sorry!
Dislexia( if thats how you spell it ) runs in my family. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Tom C
Oct-11-2005, 2:21pm
D.N.A. National Dyslexia Association

AlanN
Oct-11-2005, 2:26pm
And don't forget the dyslexic dog. He goes 'Wow Bow'.

David Horovitz
Oct-11-2005, 2:37pm
And don't forget the dyslexic dog. He goes 'Wow Bow'.
Hey, that reminds me of the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac who lies awake all night wondering if there really is a Dog.

As for the original question, I like to float my right (picking hand) over the strings, letting my fingers curl naturally in a very loose fist shape. The tips of my fingers lightly brush against my pickguard. I experimented with planting my pinky and ring finger on the pickguard but found this really restricted my movement and speed. I've never felt comfortable having my wrist sitting on the bridge or behind it.

RolandTumble
Oct-12-2005, 2:40pm
Dylsexics Untie!

I hold my picking hand in a loose fist (sometimes not-so-loose, but I'm working on it), and brush--not rest on--the bridge with my wrist right at the base of the palm.

sirtwangalot
Oct-12-2005, 3:05pm
I find it interesting Mr Monroe held his hand in a loose fist, yet most people who take up BG mandolin do not. The problem I have found with bracing at all, is sometimes I find I might be using my fingers to pick to some degree. This topic is probably one of the most popular discussions along with which pick

BauerHaus
Oct-13-2005, 11:45am
I have been playing for about 3 years, and never had anyone show me the "correct" way to hold the pick, and right hand. I hold the pick like a guitar player does (not flatpicker), and rest my pinky and third finger on the mando face. I just got an instructional DVD, and the first section is about the correct way to hold your right hand. Making a light fist, and holding the pick, not at the end of thumb and finger, but further up on the finger.
Now I'm trying to relearn, the right way, but I can't play anywhere near as well the new way. It's also very frustrating to start over. I want to learn correctly, but it's sure hard to teach an old dog new tricks....any ideas?

Steve

fatt-dad
Oct-13-2005, 11:59am
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He says awake at night wondering whether there's a dog.

fatt wondering-about-the-mandolin-content dad

David Horovitz
Oct-13-2005, 12:11pm
fatt wondering-about-the-mandolin-content dad
Did you hear about the dyslexic (mandolin-playing) agnostic with insomnia? #He stays awake at night wondering whether there's a dog.

Happy now? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

At least I also responded to the original question.

Avi Ziv
Oct-13-2005, 6:45pm
I used to have a Japanese neighbor who would ask the waiter a at restaurant for a "baggy dog"

Avi

gnelson651
Oct-13-2005, 9:38pm
Did you hear about the dyslexic (mandolin-playing) agnostic with insomnia? #He stays awake at night wondering whether there's a dog.

Do you mean dawg?