PDA

View Full Version : Altan show this Sunday

mandobob
Mar-18-2004, 2:45pm
I'm making an effort to see more live music and just got a couple of great seats for Altan at a local theatre. I'll admit I've heard only some of their tunes, but am more aware of their 'status'. Haven't heard live music in a long, long time,
and the theatre is next to both a great Thai place and pub;
so even if they came out and did an hour of Barry Manilow inspired heavy metal, I'll be happyish. Any comments on them?

Steve L
Mar-18-2004, 5:24pm
I saw them a couple of years ago when "The Blue Idol" cd came out. As much as I admired them from recordings, I was stunned by the power of their live performance. You're in for a real treat...they are wonderful. Give us a review after the show.

I'm going to check their web site...hope they are coming to Boston!!

Enjoy...Altan, Chu Chee Duck with jasmine rice, and a pint after the show should make for a perfect day.

mandobob
Mar-18-2004, 5:38pm
Steve
Will do; thanks for Thai suggestion too!
I'll post a little summary on Monday.
Bob

RolandTumble
Mar-19-2004, 3:05am
Hands down, one of the best shows I've seen by any performer in any tradition was the first time I saw Altan live.

Of course, selected shows by Hot Tuna, Grateful Dead, Oregon, Sun Ra & Ali Akbar Khan are also on my short list, so take it for what it's worth....

mandobob
Mar-22-2004, 11:40am
As a followup, I'd like to say that Altan is one of the finest live acts I've ever seen. While I could say that more Zook would have been nice, but the arrangements and tunes were just awesome as-is.
Great night all round; met the band's weary manager, bumped into some old friends at the show, the crowd was really into the band, spontaneous step dancing broke out, yadda yadda.
Feeling a little slow today, but very happy

mandocrustacean
Mar-28-2004, 8:33pm
I saw them in Ann Arbor several years ago and they are phenomenal. I wonder if they're coming back to Michigan anytime soon? Too bad there isn't a venue like the Ark in northwest Michigan.