PDA

View Full Version : Low humidity

357mag
Oct-06-2005, 4:57pm
This time last year I had one mando. I have added two since then and expecting my Eastman next week About two years ago I had a Martin D35 go south due to a splitting top that was caused by the dry heat in my apartment.
Now Im concerned about these mandolins with the winter coming up. Any ideas on how to keep them healthy over the winter months?

Eric F.
Oct-06-2005, 5:01pm
Options range from a film can with a sponge in it put in your case to a whole-house humidifier. I like some moisture in the air anyhow, so I use something called Mr. Misty. It attaches behind your shower head, uses a trickle of water and keeps a small home acceptably humid. They cost about $30 at Walgreen's.

Don
Oct-06-2005, 5:53pm
I learned my lesson last winter.I went to Lowes and bought a room humidifier for about $70 or so.It does a fine job of keeping the humidity where I want it.I keep several instruments on stands in the living room and that is where the humidifier is.Also use one of those little calculator size gadgets to aid in tracking the temp and humidity.

Django Fret
Oct-06-2005, 6:13pm
Here is a picture of a cigar humidor that I converted into a musical instrument humidor. It kept the humidity inside it at a pretty constant 45 degrees all last winter, using less than a gallon of water.

earthsave
Oct-06-2005, 10:24pm
When the humidity drops, and actually when I aint playing them, I keep my instruments in the case. Get yourself a nice digital hygrometer (humidity gauge) and stick in in your case. Whenever you take you mando out, check the reading. If it is low, you can do several things, some mentioned here earlier. A film canister with holes and a wet sponge or florist foam (the green stuff they use to make arrangements). They also sell case humidifiers. Use distilled water, so it will not be prone to mold if that is a concern. It is with cigars, but they are at a higher humidity in general.

Try not to let the humidity drop below 40% in the case for an extended period of time.

Chris Baird
Oct-06-2005, 11:17pm
Man, you could put a lot of cigars in there.