PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I have a lumpy

Kelly_guy
Mar-18-2004, 10:52am
Hi, I'm a new member to mandolin cafe, and a beginner mandolin player too. I'll have lots of questions about technique, but this isn't the technique forum.

I have an early 70's Gibson A-12. Yep, a lumpy. I've had the thing for almost 15 years. I bought it in Northern CA and played mandolin for a year or so, then switched to playing guitar. Back then, I had the neck reset by Frank Ford at Gryphon in Palo Alto. I must not have stored the instrument properly between then and now, because the neck once again needs to be reset.

I took it to a local luthier here in Madison, at Spruce Tree (I don't know his name, but I gather he has a great reputation). It's about a 2 month wait and several hundred dollars to reset the neck.

Is this something that I could do? I'm a decent woodworker, and I have hide glue and a glue pot. I gather the neck is steamed off by taking off the heelplate and injecting steam in that area. Is this a task that I should attempt myself?

Kelly

John Zimm
Mar-18-2004, 11:02am
Hey Kelly Guy,

Welcome from a fellow Madisonian. I cannot answer your question, for I am not a luthier by any stretch of the imagination. If you do take it to Spruce Tree, let us know how it turns out. I've got an instrument or two needing some work and I am curious to see how they do.

-John.

Kelly_guy
Mar-18-2004, 11:07am
Hello, Buckley! Are you one of those blazingly fast mandolin players I've seen at the Monday night bluegrass jam? That's an intimidating crowd.

Kelly

John Zimm
Mar-18-2004, 11:53am
I've never been to the jam, but one of my coworkers has repeatedly invited me to come. Do you listen to Back to the Country on WORT? I work with Bill Malone's wife and she has been trying to get me to go to the jam. I am a fairly slow player except on a few songs. One of these days I'm going to check it out.

Did you get a chance to meet the dog when you were at Spruce Tree? He's a fine old dog. One day I hope someone says as much to me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-John.

Kelly_guy
Mar-18-2004, 12:00pm
Oh yeah, I love being able to hear Bill Malone's show on Wednesday mornings! And last time I went out to the bluegrass jam, Bill and Bobbie did a set during the open mic session. I love the way they sing together. Bill's guitar style is certainly unique!

Yep, I always pet the dog out at Spruce Tree. He's quite interested in me, since I come in smelling of my two dogs, who are usually out in the car waiting.

I know this isn't the "lessons" area, but I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions for a teacher in Madison. I emailed Sims, but haven't heard back from him. I know that he has fantastic technique, and a coworker who has played bass for Harmonious Wail said that Sims has gone through a retraining for right-hand technique. I think he'd be great for lessons, but I'm sure he's crazy busy too.

John Zimm
Mar-18-2004, 12:33pm
I have not taken lessons for the mandolin, so I can offer no suggestions really. Bobbie told me the other day that the mandolin player from the Nob Hill Boys wants to start giving more lessons. I can get more information from Bobbie and pass it along if you like. I was thinking of taking lessons and my first thought was to call Spruce Tree since a couple of their employees give lessons.

Say, did you catch the Nashville Mandolin Ensemble when they were in Madison last fall? They were great. I regretted having to choose between that and the LA Guitar Quartet which was the same day, but it was a good show.

-John.

Kelly_guy
Mar-18-2004, 4:40pm
No, I rarely go to see shows at the Civic Center, and seeing a bunch of hotshot mando players would probably have discouraged me greatly!

Yeah, when the A-12 is repaired in a couple of months, I'll ask at Spruce Tree. Or I'll call Chris Powers, I really like his style of playing.

The lack of replies from luthiers is suspicious--I suspect they're too nice to tell me what they really think, which is that I should save my money on repair and by a mandolin that lacks a goiter! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sunburst
Mar-18-2004, 7:32pm
If you haven't fit a dovetail joint before, I wouldn't recomend that you start out by resetting a mandolin neck that has already been worked on. I know Frank's work and it would have been well repaired, a bad previous repair would be worse, but a dovetail isn't easy on the first try. I considered myself to be a pretty good woodworker before I started messing with this stuff, but the first mando neck reset that I tried was an old plywood Epiphone that turned out alright, but I'm glad it wasn't a better instrument.

Kelly_guy
Mar-18-2004, 8:35pm
Oh, I forgot to mention. It isn't a dovetail joint, it's a mortise & tenon. I have no idea if that makes any difference, as far as ease of repair.

I don't doubt at all that Frank did an excellent job. I'm sure at some point I let the mandolin get too warm in my car, or some such insult to the instrument. It isn't a particularly strong joint for a neck attachment, so I'm not surprised it slipped.

I might see if the local shop has a decent A-style mandolin that I can buy, and resell it when I get my Gibson back.

sunburst
Mar-18-2004, 9:05pm
I might see if the local shop has a decent A-style mandolin that I can buy, and resell it when I get my Gibson back.
Does the Gibson sound that good?

Oh yeah. I fixed a Heritage mando with a doweled mortise and tennon once. Probably the same or similar joint. I converted it to a dovetail, and it was a P.I.T.A!

John Zimm
Mar-19-2004, 9:14am
Kelly Guy-

I think Spruce Tree has an old Martin A-style (http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/martstya_611.jpg) for sale. Here's their description: "Martin Style A 1954 Spruce top, mahogany back and sides. Finish shows light checking all over, otherwise EXC. OSSC $675." Last time I was there I swear I saw an Absaroka hanging in the big case, but I don't see it listed on their website. Maybe someone bought it up on me.

-John.

Kelly_guy
Mar-19-2004, 9:56am
Does the Gibson sound that good?
Sunburst:

Does the Gibson sound "what" good? It will cost a few hundred dollars to repair, and when finished, I'll have a decent instrument that I like playing, and which apparently is worth a fair bit to collectors.

Buckley: I saw that Martin while browsing Spruce Tree's site. I have a bid in on eBay on a mandolin, and I'll wait to see how that auction goes.

I used to have an A-style no-name mandolin, my first mando, but my sister apparently "lost" it. I loaned it to her for her kids to play, and it disappeared. Grrr...Was a nice instrument to play, too.