PDA

View Full Version : My Newell A5

Tim Saxton
Oct-05-2005, 9:58am
I received my new A5 mandolin about two weeks ago. I have not been able to put it down since. My 3 other mandos have not seen any light since it came. It is just amazing.

Keith set out to build me a custom mandolin about 4 months ago. What he delivered is nothing like what I expected. It is far greater than that. This mandolin surpassed all my expectations in tone, fit and finish, quality, playability and craftsmanship. I was a little scared to spend this much on an instrument that I have never played. WOW was I a fool to think that #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

I wanted a black top with burgundy wine colored sides and back. I wanted it bound with tortoise/white/black top and back also on the sides. Keith delivered with a great look. I also wanted a different headstock and inlay than what he had been using. We went to work collaborating a design that would make us both happy. Keith nailed the look I was after. Somewhat traditional and contemporary at the same time. Again it surpassed any of my expectations.

I'll try to describe the tone as best I can. I let a Friend play it and he said that it was the best A5 he has ever played. This man has been playing mandolin for 30 years and also is a builder. Others have all said, along equal terms, that "This is a REAL GOOD mandolin" As for me, well I love it and could not agree more. Keith took it to his local jam where several of his mandolins play. He reported back that everyone thought that is was a real keeper and that he should not sell it. He emailed me and offered me quite a bit more than I paid. I gladly refused his offer.

The tone has evened out since I pulled it out of the case. When I first got it I thought that if the tone never changed I'd be happy. I now understand when people say that it should have "IT" from the first note you play. It seems to have a very round sound that projects very well. It is very loud with allot of complex over tones. The bass is nice and woody with a real good bark. The trebles are clear and crisp. More than I expected. It chops well and cuts through a loud jam. It mics very well. I had to back off from my normal position http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

I'd like to publicly thank Keith Newell for single handedly curing my MAS. He did a great job!! He delivered more than I was hoping for in a custom made instrument. This mandolin is worth more than I paid for it hands down. I almost feel bad. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tim Saxton

Tim Saxton
Oct-05-2005, 9:59am
another pic

Tim Saxton
Oct-05-2005, 10:00am
another

Tim Saxton
Oct-05-2005, 10:00am
last one

PCypert
Oct-05-2005, 10:02am
Looks nice. Glad you're satisfied. Cure for MAS? Think you just cursed yourself by saying that javascript:%20InstaSmilie()

Eric F.
Oct-05-2005, 10:06am
Outstanding! Congrats to you and Keith. I MUST play one of those some day.
Tim, do you have a full shot of the back? I'd love to see it.

barricwiley
Oct-05-2005, 10:21am
How's this?

kyblue
Oct-05-2005, 10:28am
Now that's a good looking mandolin!

Tim Saxton
Oct-05-2005, 10:33am
I have yet to take any new photos. I will be doing so soon. Thanks for posting that photo from another thread Richard.

barricwiley
Oct-05-2005, 11:22am
You're welcome Tim.
Another great reason for mas.
Beautiful, just beautiful!
Happy for ya.
Richard
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Bill James
Oct-05-2005, 11:22am
That IS a great looking mandolin, give me tortoise any day.

Just curious and it may just be the image, but do you know what type of fret wires were used? They look tall, and very angular.

Tim Saxton
Oct-05-2005, 12:01pm
Hmmmm.... Maybe Keith can give us the details on that. I'm not too sure. They seem to be just a little oversized but not angular. I think it may just be the photo.

Lane Pryce
Oct-05-2005, 1:33pm
Tim that is a very nice mandolin.I have been following keith's work.Top shelf quality.Were you able to play one his mandolins before you purchased? Lp

LKN2MYIS
Oct-05-2005, 5:38pm
Tim -

A sweet looking instrument.

Your description is wonderful - really gives a good feeling of the instrument's quality.

I'm really happy with #15. You must be in heaven right now.

Curious - you were at Keith's and played mine before it shipped. What would you say the tonal differences are between the two? I am real impressed with the bass on mine.

Not for anything, but I agree that his instruments are incredibly under priced.

Thanks, and enjoy -
John

Keith Newell
Oct-05-2005, 7:34pm
Hi Tim, glad it's found a good home. To answer Bill James's question they are not angular, it must be the way the sun is shinning on them. The wire is 0147 fret wire from Stew-Mac.
Keith

Scotti Adams
Oct-06-2005, 8:56am
Fine as fine can be...