PDA

View Full Version : My New Silver Angel - #231

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 4:36pm
(Sorry about the coming and goings of this thread. #I didn't realize you're limited to ONE photo attachment per post - so I deleted the original thread to try to start over with multiple pictures. Apparently I have to post them one at a time. #And thanks to Doug - who owns Silver Angel # 94 - for posting the back of my #new one for ya'll to see!) #So...attached is the FIRST of three shots of my new Silver Angel. #Ken Ratcliff started this for me in August; I received it last week. #I had #192 and traded up for a new one with an oil finish and angel painting. #He took the tailpiece (the LAST of about 36 of those custom-cast bronze tailpieces) off my old one and put it on this one, and also included the mother-of-pearl flying angel in an ebony headstock. #My other one played and sounded exceptional - even with a lacquered finish; this one plays and sounds even BETTER 'out of the box' and will get better with time as the oil finish continues to cure and harden. #(Bear with me while I figure out how to attach photos of the front and headstock...)

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 4:38pm
Here is the front of her. #I'll try to snap a close-up shot of the tailpiece and get that on here too. Though the color appears reddish, it's actually more of a tan color. Reminiscent of the old 1950's-vintage Gibson ES125 'tobacco sunburst' colored guitars.

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 4:43pm
Here is a picture of the headstock. Ken's not put the flying angel in them for a few years now, but my first one had it, and he agreed to do one in ebony on this one. I prefer it over his newer ones with the 'SilverAngel' script, but they're all tastefully done!

Eric F.
Oct-04-2005, 4:55pm
Thanks for re-posting. You sound like one happy camper. Enjoy!

Moose
Oct-04-2005, 5:04pm
Thanks for the re-post! - I thought I had "crashed" my 'puter...again!## - A beautiful mando! - Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jasona
Oct-04-2005, 5:22pm
Wow, that is one smooth as silk finish. And *better* sounding? I really do not need a varnish finish mando, I really do not need a varnish finish mando...

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 5:28pm
Jasona - I've seen your Laura Ratcliff mando; SWEET! Ken didn't have to work too hard to convince me to go with the oil finish. He's still using that unique European spruce - though he MAY have still been using some of that spruce from that 100-year old building that was torn down on mine - so sound will always 'project' through the top of his. The oil finish - at it cures and hardens - will only 'bounce' the incredible inherent tone of his fine instruments out even better as time goes by!

Lane Pryce
Oct-04-2005, 5:45pm
Soooo-weet!!! What kind of tailpiece is that? Lp

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 5:45pm
Here is a close-up of the tailpiece. I've got one of the first digital cameras so it's not great quality - but you'll get the idea of why I wanted that on my new Silver Angel!

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 5:48pm
Lane - Ken designed that tailpiece in the early 2000's, and had (I think) about 3 dozen cast. The guy who cast them left for Europe, and I got the last one Ken had when I ordered my first Angel in 2002. The picture I posted a few minutes ago shows it in more detail.

Doug Edwards
Oct-04-2005, 6:08pm
Sweet!
You gonna Tone Gard that back to protect the painting?
The headstock is REALLY NICE.

jasona
Oct-04-2005, 6:20pm
Sweet!
You gonna Tone Gard that back to protect the painting?
What...and put the angel in jail? ;)

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 6:36pm
Doug - I've thought about it. #But I've been advised not to do anything to jeopardize the 'soft' oil varnish for about 6 months - so #I'm going to baby it before putting on a tone guard. (Or anything else that might adversely affect the finish!) #I know I won't be able to keep it flawless forever, but had I wanted a 'distressed' one right off the bat, I'd have had Ken finish it that way! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif (He did offer that option to me!)

Greenmando
Jan-16-2007, 9:29pm
Lane - Ken designed that tailpiece in the early 2000's, and had (I think) about 3 dozen cast. #The guy who cast them left for Europe, and I got the last one Ken had when I ordered my first Angel in 2002. #The picture I posted a few minutes ago shows it in more detail.
I have the tools and experience to reproduce the tailpieces. I could cast them in bronze, silver or even gold.

Mark Walker
Jan-17-2007, 5:13am
Tom - you should PM Ken Ratcliff (even though he might notice your post) and let him know that. I'm sure he'd appreciate it!

Greenmando
Jan-17-2007, 9:27pm
Thanks Mark, I'll look for his address.

Antlurz
Jan-17-2007, 10:28pm
I love the alloy mix in that tailpiece, whatever it is....

Ron

Greenmando
Jan-17-2007, 10:36pm
It looks like a good old oil rubbed bronze to me.

Mark Walker
Jan-18-2007, 8:32am
I'm pretty sure it is bronze. I can spiff it up and make it shine like gold with a some fine steel wool or a few drops of Brasso polish! (I put a cloth or paper UNDER it of course before I work on it - don't want to 'distress' the oil finish on the mandolin!)
But it does look pretty cool in a 'semi-weathered/tarnished' state.

bgmando
Jan-18-2007, 2:59pm
Very sweet.

K3NTUCKI8oy
Jan-18-2007, 8:56pm
good mando, as long as the top don't sink those things are cannons

jasona
Jan-18-2007, 11:02pm
I've only heard of one SA needing a retop out of what, 300? What are you driving at? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Mark Walker
Jan-19-2007, 8:19am
Jason - I agree. Ken's REALLY early models had both F-holes and a diamond-shaped 'center hole' under the strings, and Ken admitted many years ago that a few of those had problems with the tops sinking. I've never heard of any of his - or Laura's - mandolins having any problems with the tops settling at ALL in the last... what, 15+ years?

Not saying it COULDN'T occur - (it could happen with any instrument; I've got a cousin with a Gibson with a top that sunk) - but it's certainly NOT a common trait with Silver Angel mandolins any more than any other brand.