PDA

View Full Version : How important is radiused fingerboard?

deepbrew
Mar-18-2004, 7:29am
I'm buying my first mandolin (been playing guitar for 40 years) and am spending in the 450-650 dollar raange. The feature that seems to put me in the upper end of that range is a radiused board. I'm mostly looking at MKs, Tacoma, Mid Mo, Kentucky (radius not offered). Am I going to notice a distinct difference in feel and ease of playing with a radiused board on such a narrow neck?

sonnyjammer
Mar-18-2004, 7:49am
Hi welcome to the mandolin world, I don't believe you will notice that much of a difference with the curved board in the beginning. But I think many folks end up wanting a radius board eventually, good thinking to go ahead and get that on your first. No Financial Interest, but Cartwright Music can hook you up with an MK, radiused solid wood in your price range. Good Luck.

doanepoole
Mar-18-2004, 7:54am
Go try flat vs. radius and see which one feels better to you.

Lots of folks here love a radius...they give me hand cramps, I need a flat board.

Matter of comfort...my hypothesis is it may have to do with the shape of one's hands.

John Flynn
Mar-18-2004, 9:10am
I played flats for 10 years and then got a Rigel with a compound radius. I really like the curved board and I plan to insist on radiused boards on future mandos. There is no question in my mind that it improved my playing and decreased some hand pain problems I was having.

I do think it is purely personal preference, however. Also, I just did a complete set up on my flat-board travel mando, even though I am not a professional luthier. It turned pretty well, though, and it now plays so well that I am starting to feel better about flat boards. This leads me to say that whatever kind of board you get, the more important factor is a top-notch set up.

neal
Mar-18-2004, 3:32pm
Kentucky 750 is radius

Mar-18-2004, 3:46pm
Breedlove necks are radiused & slightly wider 1 3/16" @ the nut vrs 1 1/8" ........but are slightly above your given pricerange.