PDA

View Full Version : West/Central Massachusetts

Dando
Oct-04-2005, 3:52pm
i can't wait for jan 5th

garyblanchard
Oct-05-2005, 9:40am
Dando

I believe there was a simialr thread here a while back about this area that you might want to search for. I don't live in that area but I visit West Brookfield several times a year and plan to move there (hopefully) with the next year. I do know of a jam at the Fiddle Shop in East Brookfield, I believe it is on Thursday evenings. Their website is Fiddle Shop (http://www.fiddlersdream.com/guitar_fiddle_drum_voice_lessons.html) .

Hope this is some help. They might be able to direct you to more in the area.

garyblanchard
Oct-05-2005, 10:02am
Ooops, sorry. Just realized you were the one who started the previous thread. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Sorry you're not having any luck finding someone to jam with.

Larry S Sherman
Oct-05-2005, 12:37pm
Hey,

I'm in Western MA (Greenfield), but I've only been playing a couple of years-mostly solo jazz pieces. I think that I still suck too much to jam with people.

In my town there's an old-time jam on Sundays at the energy park (or so I hear).

In Conway MA there's a bluegrass jam at the Conway Inn once or twice a month.

Someday I'll get the courage to jump in...

Larry

Larry S Sherman
Oct-05-2005, 12:42pm
One more thing...if you like checking out great players the Will Patton Quintet will be in Brattleboro, VT on Sat, Nov 12th. I'm going with another mando player or two. It may be a good opportunity to meet some players?

Will is not bluegrass, but really plays with feeling on Gypsy jazz and Choro tunes. Nice guy too.

Larry

otterly2k
Oct-06-2005, 9:19pm
I'm going to be in the area this weekend, and may stop by the energy park on Sunday with my OM just to check things out. BTW-- It was easy to find a few Celtic jams in the area fairly easily on the web, including one on Sundays at 7pm at Peoples' Pint in Greenfield, if Celtic music interests you. At any rate it might be a good way to meet some other local musicians. I know that in my area, there are jams that are public, but a lot of jamming goes on in smaller gatherings in peoples' homes that you only find out about as you start to meet folks...

good luck, Dando... and keep on with your search...
KE

otterly2k
Oct-11-2005, 1:27pm
update--
b/c of the rain, I didn't catch up with the old time jam in greenfield, but the Celtic jam at People's Pint (Greenfield) was wonderful and a blast... lovely, welcoming people there and very skilled, high-quality music.

No other mandos there, but there was a tenor banjo player, many fiddles and flutes as well as TWO players on uileann pipes (way cool) and only one guitar, so there was plenty of "room" for OM parts. Highly recommended to anyone in the area with a love of Celtic music (and very good locally brewed beer as well!)

bluegrassforever
Oct-11-2005, 3:15pm
Hey Dando I play with a small group in Hamp. Maybe we can jam some time. We do a ton of stanley tunes.

MandoVin
Nov-03-2005, 2:25pm
Hi Dando,
I play mandolin with a small group (Acoustic Brew) around the valley as well; I live in Williamsburg. #We play a pretty wide variety of acoustic music but mostly bluegrassy stuff. #I wouldn't mind trying to get together to do some pickin sometime. #We all met through the Acoustic Guitar Network in Northampton. #A great organization but it's not free... #

Actually, we're gonna be playing at the Shelburne-Buckland Community Center, 53 Main St. in Shelburne Falls, on November 5 from 5-6 pm. #You should come out and introduce yourself. #I'd like to meet other local mando pickers.

BTW, "bluegrassforever", who do you play with in Hamp?

Vince

Dave Reiner
Nov-03-2005, 3:06pm
Hi W/C Massachusetts players:

Just a heads-up for an upcoming event not too far away in Groton, MA. #Please pass this along to fiddle players in your area, and it would also be nice to get a mando player or two. #Adam Sweet is also involved in the planning.

The event is a (free) weekend of fiddle jams and workshops, called Fiddle H e l l, in Groton, MA on Dec 9-11. #There's more info on my website: http://www.reinerfamilyband.com/fiddlehellmassac.html

Best,

Dave Reiner

brownbeard
Nov-08-2005, 10:16pm
There is an old time jam at the black sheep deli in Amherst every Thursday 7-9 or 10

bluegrassforever
Dec-02-2005, 11:40am
MandoVin I play with the remaining Delnero brother(Jim) that did not move to N.Y. State and a gentleman (Chris)that works in Boston during the week and lives in Hamp. Still looking for a bass player and others that can add to the sound.