PDA

View Full Version : Going to buy a mandolin Friday, Model suggestions?

Pacomax
Sep-27-2005, 9:18pm
I play acoustic guitar and after hearing some local, live bluegrass, I am interested in trying to learn mandolin. I don't have a lot to spend, so I want to start out wisely.I know that with acoustic guitars, most of those for $179.00 would only deter a person's interest in learning. I own a nice Big Baby Taylor guitar. What about mandolins? What brand/model would you recommend for under $250.00 or are there no decent mandolins for under $250. ?? If not, where should I start? I plan to buy one this friday somewhere between Fort Myers and Tampa Florida [ I live in the middle ] Store or internet suggestions would also be appreciated! OH! A mandolin instruction cd too maybe? Thank you for your much needed help! Feel free to post a reply.

walshb
Sep-27-2005, 9:22pm
If you watch Musician's Friend they occasionally have Michael Kelly F styles for $299, sometimes even the Deluxe goes for that price and just about anyone would say that was a great deal. #But they go fast every time they put them up at this price, so you'd have to check regularly.

Edit to add: If you do get an MK Deluxe for $299, when you are ready to upgrade you'll be able to sell if for more than that if you take care of it! Check ebay to see what they're going for.

ShaneJ
Sep-27-2005, 9:47pm
Stick to an A model. MK makes an A in that price range. You'll get better quality for the money with an A rather than an F. Kentucky makes a decent one under $250 too - get a KM-250S, KM-340S or KM-380S (the higher the number, the more solid wood better quality tuners, etc. you get). You're right about cheap instruments being a deterent rather than an encouragement. You might even save a little longer to get up to $500 or $750. Then you can get a much better quality A style made in America - especially used. Watch the classifieds here or eBay for an occasional deal on a good one.

Good luck! Just remember, there's no known cure for MAS, so be careful! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dioptase
Sep-27-2005, 9:54pm
Hi Paco.
There's lots of threads on this subject, take a look around the boards for more information.

But to answer your question... I think it will be difficult to find even a decent mandolin in that price range. I have been very outspoken on the boards about my love for the Mid Missouri Mandolins. If you keep your eyes open they can be had used for 300 - 350$, and I feel they're the best value in Mandolins today. You could pay a lot more for an inferior instrument, but if you begin on a Midmo chances are you'll never sell the instrument even as you upgrade. They're simply fine instruments at a bargain price. I can't recall a discouraging word ever having been mentioned on these boards by an owner of a Midmo. I own a mandolin that retails for 3x the price of my Midmo.. and while it's certainly better for some applications, I love the Midmo equally.

There's some other good deals out there... a used Flatiron Pancake, or maybe an old solid wood strad-o-lin come immediately to mind. But the Mid Missouri seems to be the easiest of the instruments to track down. If you buy the Midmo used you will lose no money should you wish to resell.

I moved from Florida last year, and I had a difficult time finding good mandolins in the stores. Mostly just cheap imports that were quite disappointing. Do some research on this site, and search the web thoroughly for Midmo's and Pancakes. And most of all don't be in too great a hurry. I was certainly eager for my first instrument, but if I'd taken another two weeks of research and searching, I could have done far better for less money. This site is the best resource on the web, you've done well so far!
Micah

arbarnhart
Sep-27-2005, 10:02pm
I have a good $200 mando, but it really isn't a bluegrass mando. I have a Washburn M1SDL (http://www.music123.com/Washburn-M1SDL-i131427.music?t=4) which is pretty much an A4 (oval hole A body) copy, though it has an F style peghead. Plays great, sounds good but I've been told it wouldn't cut through the wall of sound in a big bluegrass jam. It holds its own in an acoustic blues jam.

Do you care to invest a little time building? The $110 (or $95 without the book) kit from International Violin (http://www.internationalviolin.com/itemdrilldown.cfm?category=UNFIN&stype=cat&item=MK1) has gotten high marks from people who built it. Look in the builders forum for posts about the "IV kit". Supposedly only takes about 8 hours to get a really loud A model (more time to apply a fancy finish).

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 7:33am
[B]My thanks to walshb, Sjennings, Dioptase and arbarnhart for their very helpful information!! After reading these 1st 4 replies, I have decided that perhaps I should read more advice from mandolin players, before I make a purchase! Please keep your posts coming and lets raise the amount of $ to $400.00 That's about all I can afford to spend i'm afraid. Thank You!!

GVD
Sep-28-2005, 8:06am
Listen to Dioptase. Keep your eyes open and you can find some really good deals on used Mid Mo's. For the money there's nothing else that even comes close to the tone and playability of a Mid Mo and as he said you can always get your money back out of it later if you want something fancier.

GVD

357mag
Sep-28-2005, 8:48am
Im fairly new myself by a little over a year. I started with a MK and have two now. They are both keepers. If you buy a new MK on one of these promotions, set aside 40-60 bucks to have it set up after you get it. I bought mine used off the classifieds and both were pretty playable but I had one of them set up anyway just to improve it.
Thats my personel experience, but that Mid Mo has a gret reputation on here.
For a few bucks more, the Eastman is a great choice. Thats my latest project and hope to have it in the next two weeks. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

olgraypat
Sep-28-2005, 9:21am
You are in luck. You can buy today. There is a used Mid Mo for sale in the classifieds for $300. You probably couldn't do any better. If you decide against that....Buy an A style with solid wood. Go somewhere that you can play a lot of different mandos. Stick with the older brands....Washburn, Kentucky, maybe Epiphone. Some people really like the Michael Kellys, but I would want to play any of these as there can be a huge variation among the same brand. Get it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. And, yes the IV kit is a great value.

Michael H Geimer
Sep-28-2005, 9:24am
Go Mid-mo!

- Benig ... who is even heading out to pick up another Mid-mo this morning!

J. Mark Lane
Sep-28-2005, 9:32am
There's a used Kentucky 675 in the Classifieds right now for $400. Also a used Epi for $425. If I wanted a mando in that price range, I'd grab either one. I wouldn't expect a fine instrument, but both would probably be serviceable.

Other than that, I'd have to agree on the Mid-Mo. I never liked them...until I played a few. I have some expensive mandolins (that I don't deserve), but I would really love to have a Mid-Mo. They're very good mandolins for the money.

Obviously, there is a big difference between an oval hole teardrop shaped mandolin and an f-hole F style. If you don't know what you want, I'd opt for the oval. You'll get more instrument for the $.

PCypert
Sep-28-2005, 9:36am
Please Please Please find a used Mid Mo and go with that. With the Asian ones you have to pay extra for set up and all that. Plus if something happens you're SOL. Mid Mo has the best customer service and warranty out there. They don't even care if you didn't buy originaly. I cannot overstate how much more mando you're getting for your money with a Mid Missouri. They play great and sound great too. Highly undervalued if you ask most.
Paul

flairbzzt
Sep-28-2005, 9:49am
I like the price of the Epiphone in the classifieds with the stated upgrades (tuners, bridge, case). I'd eventually swap out the original tailpiece for a cast one and a basic setup and I think you'd be happy. The Kentucky would need the same + new tuners.

arbarnhart
Sep-28-2005, 10:08am
Please Please Please find a used Mid Mo and go with that. #With the Asian ones you have to pay extra for set up and all that. #Plus if something happens you're SOL. #Mid Mo has the best customer service and warranty out there. #They don't even care if you didn't buy originaly. #I cannot overstate how much more mando you're getting for your money with a Mid Missouri. #They play great and sound great too. #Highly undervalued if you ask most. #
Paul
I would agree that the Mid Mo warrants consideration. I have heard nothing but good things about them. However, I do take exception to the generalization about warranties and being SOL. My Asian import (Washburn) carries a lifetime guarantee and I have seen at least one post here from someone that had to exercise it and got a replacement. There was a really good Epi warranty story posted not long ago (very happy ending).

There are very playable instruments that carry warranties at the low end, but they typically will have less decorative features, less figure (I got a black finish like a grand piano; from the inside I can see there is some really bland maple under there) and they will be A styles. Make sure you get solid wood, a truss rod and an adjustable bridge (I think the Mid Mo is a notable exception that comes with a fixed bridge) so set up can be tweaked.

Michael H Geimer
Sep-28-2005, 11:08am
Owned an Epi MM-50 that played sweet and easy, but was so very quiet that it wasn't very usefull other than on the couch by myself.

Traded it for a Mid-mo and haven't looked back ... oh, wait ... wasn't I looking back just now?

Go Mid-mo!

- Benig ... who is *really* posting only to brag about the used M0 he just picked up on his way into the office.

Bob A
Sep-28-2005, 11:14am
As you are already an experinced musician, and recognise that playable quality cannot be achieved below a certain price point, my only advice would be to decide how much you'd pay for a reasonably decent guitar, and expect to put that much into a mandolin. They're harder to build than guitars, and considering the amount of skilled labor going into construction, the cost of materials is roughly comparable.

Always buy a better instrument than you think you need; always pay more than you think you can afford. And if you buy used, you'll always get your money back if you need to.

PCypert
Sep-28-2005, 11:38am
Mid Mo's are pretty easy to come by. Here's one that's ending soon. Will proabably finish over what you were looking to spend but a really, really nice mandolin. Not even for the money. Just a nice mandolin.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-Missouri-M11-Mandolin-M-11-Hard-Case-Like-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ7352570376QQcategoryZ10179QQ
ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Mid-Mis....iewItem</a>

Please give them a try. Sure the others have warranties, but can you shoot the breeze have it second day'd back to you with about five bridges thrown in for free with new strings? I've never been treated so well by any company. And I loved playing my mid mo. Dang MAS sucks...still dreaming about an all mid mo line up Mando, Dola, OM....MMMM Also still trying to talk them into the carved top relm. I want a Mid Mo simply appointed Sobell copy....it could happen. I and others got Collings to make an oval
Paul

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 2:28pm
Pcypert, thanks! I am now watching that auction! If it doesn't go much higher, I may buy it! I have Paypal and 275 feedbacks, so the seller should be happy to see my bid! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 2:30pm
You are in luck. #You can buy today. #There is a used Mid Mo for sale in the classifieds for $300. #You probably couldn't do any better. #If you decide against that....Buy an A style with solid wood. #Go somewhere that you can play a lot of different mandos. #Stick with the older brands....Washburn, Kentucky, maybe Epiphone. #Some people really like the Michael Kellys, but I would want to play any of these as there can be a huge variation among the same brand. #Get it set up by someone who knows what they are doing. #And, yes the IV kit is a great value.
I tried, but he said it was sold http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[B]

Michael H Geimer
Sep-28-2005, 2:38pm
Keep looking Chuck! Mid-mo's are worth it, and pop up reasonably often. Ranging from $250 - $400.

I saw this latest one a few weeks back at $400 and passed. Paid $275 this morning.

I just got back from lunch with the lil' guy and it's fantastic. It might be better sounding than my M-11 ... which says a lot coming from me. I'm a die-hard fan of my M-11.

Happy Hunting!

Eric F.
Sep-28-2005, 2:43pm
I really like the M-11. It's a little different from their other mandos by virtue of the mahogany top. If you don't get that one, keep in mind that a new M-0 can be had for just less than $400. I played one last week that sounded terrific. I've played a lot of Mid-Mo mandolins, and none was a clunker.

PCypert
Sep-28-2005, 7:57pm
A shop online has the dola for dirt cheap too. Man if I was back in the states I'd be doing some trading around right now. Would love an M11 or 3 or 4 and a dola. Only one I don't care for is that Maple one, but could see how some would like it.
Paul

ira
Sep-28-2005, 8:14pm
benig- you are cracking me up! love the zeal!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

mpeknox
Sep-28-2005, 8:22pm
You say that your interest in mandolins stems from seeing live, local bluegrass. While I'm sure Mid-Mo makes a fine flat top, oval hole mandolin I think I would probably be safe to say that Mid-Mo is not a bluegrass mandolin. That's not to say that one could NOT play bluegrass with a Mid-Mo, just that something else would probably be more suitable. The only thing I can think of in your price range would be an A style Kentucky or maybe a Michael Kelly.

Stephen Perry
Sep-28-2005, 8:28pm
I suggest that setup and tweeking are perhaps more important than the exact make within certain constraints. I've had good success with the Kentucky line of solid wood mandolins, rather like the mid-Mo (not a bluegrass type mandolin), and have played some low end Morgan Monroe and Michael Kelly that worked nicely. Once set up. Mid Mo seem to be well set up to begin with.

Setup is key. And some of the more subtle tweeking really helps.

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 8:38pm
I'm really excited about this!!! I went to 3 music stores today and only 1 had any mandolins. With what research i've done so far, I knew they were overpriced for all being used. One was a Gold Tone model 70 and was $550.00 average condition. One was a Fender FM-52E for $250. and the last was just called a Playmate for $90.00 with no strings etc! At least I got to hold them and the Gold Tone seemed like a decent instrument? One store suggested a Johnson m-120 for $199.00 and said it was the best of the low priced mandolins, they said solid wood?? Looking around on the internet, I found a place called Folk of the Wood and their prices seemed about average, but they claim to do a thorough "set up" on all mandolins they sell at any price, for free. What do you all think of Folk of the Wood? Do they really do a good set up? So far, there seem to be a lot of Mid-Mo lovers here, so i'd like to find a nice used one. The Folk of the Wood price on the bottom of the line Mid-Mo is $480.00 plus shipping. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif #Over my head for the moment. I have to say, you are the most helpful group here, that i've run into on any subject on the internet!!! Thanks!!! By the way, Paco is my bird and Max my dog http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif My name is Chuck

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 8:45pm
A shop online has the dola for dirt cheap too. #Man if I was back in the states I'd be doing some trading around right now. #Would love an M11 or 3 or 4 and a dola. #Only one I don't care for is that Maple one, but could see how some would like it.
Paul
A Mandola? I read some about them, Octaves and Bouzoukis and heard some live mini videos at Folk Of The Wood website. They look interesting too! Especially the Bouzouki.
What shop is the one you saw at?

sean808080
Sep-28-2005, 8:49pm
i'll second the mid-mo recommendations. i just went though this myself and returned a fender which was pretty good and a kentucky which sucked cheese. i love the mid-mo and have eyes for no other. at least for this week.

hehe
good luck!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

fatt-dad
Sep-28-2005, 8:53pm
I loved my Kentucky KM-250 as a good quality inexpensive "bluegrass" like mandolin. That said, I also love my flatiron pancake, which I expect may be more like the MidMo, it's just more suited for old-time music (imho).

Enjoy the hunt!

f-d

JEStanek
Sep-28-2005, 8:54pm
In the words of Flavor-Flav... Yo Chuck!
Welcome to the Cafe. Folk of the Wood may draw some really contentious answers from people here. They are going through a weird time in their business and are trying to clean up a bad reputation.

That said, I have purchased two mandos (Kentucky KM140S, a Morgan Monroe Fancy F style, and a Trinity College Octave) from them. These are not high price point mandos and they came very well shipped and well set up. Communication on when things were going to be delivered was less than great. They recently made right with me on the Kentucky I returned when I upgraded to the Morgan Monroe. It took a while but they made right. I would suggest that Folk of the Wood is an OK place to get a starter lower price point mando that will come set up alright.

Others will suggest you go elsewhere (see our fine sponsors on the message board and main pages). But I'm not sure if our higher end sponsors carry the more budget &gt;$400 mandos other than the mid mo. I personnaly would buy from Folk of the Wood before Musiscians Friend (but others have had good experiences there).

That Johnson M-120 is all solid and would benifit from better strings and $199 is on the high end for that model Folk of the Wood wants $150 +25 Shipped (and set up). Show them the FOTW web site price. That M-120 sounds ok when set up right. Good Starter to see if mando is your thing and then a good "beater" camp/festival mando.

Jamie

J. Mark Lane
Sep-28-2005, 9:03pm
Whatever you do, do not do business with "Folk of the Wood." Ignore that advice at your peril.

I would call Elderly Instruments. You can link directly to them from the home page of this website (they are one of the sponsors of this site). Either them, or Greg Boyd, or Mandolin Brothers. All should have some low-end mandolins that are probably not up on their websites, but could be ordered. I would trust these business implicitly. I have done business with all three, and they are good, honest people. Be careful who you trust. Only trust me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 9:04pm
OH GEEZ! I hope I didn't break any rules, by naming a competitor! I didn't even see that sponsor list here, until you brought it to my attention! I assume they read these posts, so if any of them have what i'm looking for in my price range, they would probably have posted what they could offer me-or emailed me? Still, i'll check out their stores, now that I know they are there! I wonder: Should I start out with that Johnson M-120 and see if I like and can learn mandolin and then, if I do, buy a more expensive mandolin? Hmmmmm

J. Mark Lane
Sep-28-2005, 9:06pm
It's not that they are a "competitor". Nobody cares about that, and really, they aren't. They are just plain crooks. Just do a search here or on Usenet. Or, if you prefer, become one of their victims. No skin off my buns.

But seriously, heed my advice above, and you won't regret it. As for the instrument, yeah, a Mid-Mo is not a bluegrass instrument, period. A Kentucky A would be a good bet. But the two or three used ones on the Classifieds here would be better deals.

Enjoy the hunt. It's half the game. And you will be doing it again...and again...and again...

Mark (permanent victim of MAS)

Pacomax
Sep-28-2005, 9:15pm
It's not that they are a "competitor". #Nobody cares about that, and really, they aren't. #They are just plain crooks. #Just do a search here or on Usenet. #Or, if you prefer, become one of their victims. #No skin off my buns. #

But seriously, heed my advice above, and you won't regret it. #As for the instrument, yeah, a Mid-Mo is not a bluegrass instrument, period. #A Kentucky A would be a good bet. #But the two or three used ones on the Classifieds here would be better deals. #

Enjoy the hunt. #It's half the game. #And you will be doing it again...and again...and again...

Mark (permanent victim of MAS)
Folk of the wood are crooks? Thanks for the warning! I have never bought an instrument online. I actually have 3 guitars, My Big Baby Taylor, a Saga Bluegrass i've had for 10 years and an old Guild A-30 Madeira. All 3 are nice guitars really. I just play the Taylor more often now. I bought all 2 these from local stores and the Guild was left to me by my father, when he died.
That's why i'm here, for good direction and advice! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

PCypert
Sep-28-2005, 11:55pm
They're not crooks so much as aspiring dealers who reached to high (a nice way of saying good folks who are terrible at business). When I was getting started I got close a few times to buying from them oblivious to all that was going on around them. Glad I didn't because there are people still waiting on mandos from the time I was looking...years ago. A simple cheap starter mando, though, probably could get to you promptly and as described at this point. Not sure though. Buying online is usually quite easy and the prefered mandolin method...only because they're adequately stocked at so few places. And don't buy the hype of MidMo not being a BG mando. I've seen people out picking folks with F styles on old A oval hole Gibsons which are "celtic or old time mandolins". The key is a playable mandolin you get to know personally and a sense of musicianship. I feel that that's easier on a well made, set up, taken care of instrument. But I'm an idiot at times. Whatever you buy you'll have for a year at most before MAS sets in and you start upgrading http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif . Be patient and don't rush right now. Money well spent will satisfy more than getting something quickly to scratch an itch.
Paul

johnM
Sep-29-2005, 7:21am
My 2cents, Since your just going to be learning bluegrass I agree the Mid-Mo's are what to do it on. Those mandolins will be the LEAST FRUSTRATING mandolins to teach yourself to play bluegrass and when you get better then you can actually buy what you want. If you go and buy a MK, Epi or whatever your shooting in the dark and the set up/intonation process is quite confusing for a "new be" if you throw in the problems that you may encounter with pacrim instrument. So yea do yourself a favor and get a mid mo that way if you don't like it you can sell it and not lose your shirt.

jm

Pacomax
Sep-29-2005, 8:05am
If it matters. I was inspired to by a mandolin by a bluegrass musician, but I don't play bluegrass, I play folk and a little tiny bit of country. All the more in favor of a Mid-Mo I assume? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

arbarnhart
Sep-29-2005, 9:25am
I think the best way to put it is that advanced players of bluegrass generally prefer archtop mandolins with F holes. I don't completely understand the concept of "cutting through the wall of sound". I play an arch top oval hole model and last night I was playing blues with 2 guitars and a banjo and they did not mask my screw ups nearly as well as I might have hoped http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif #I did a few short solos and had no problem being heard. I am not much of a BG player, but the few things I do sound okay (taking my limited abilities into account) and I have heard someone better at BG play it and it sounded great to me (but I am biased). Anyway, I think an oval is a great choice for folk and country.

To give you some perspective, if I put nickel strings on my mando (and I tried that for a while; didn't like them) the difference in sound compared to phospher bronze seems more dramatic to me than the difference in sound between mine and an F hole with the same strings. The F hole I compared to is also a low end archtop A body.

Hondo
Sep-29-2005, 9:57am
My M-2 is an excellent multiple-genre instrument. But I believe the most important thing for a beginner is to get a playable instrument, and play the heck out of it. Learn good technique, set up a practice routine, take lessons, if possible, and discover, through playing, what you want or need in a mando. The M-2 is all I need right now (but my wants are another matter. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JEStanek
Sep-29-2005, 1:50pm
I'll jump in one last time. Even if you don't buy from Folk of the Wood, use their video samplers to hear subtle differences between Mid Mo models. I think many of us can agree that site is useful for that. Personnally, I like the sound of the M-11 (all mahogany) and the Rosewood backed ones.

Mandolin Brothers in New York would be a good place to order from as well as Elderly for those mandos.

Jamie - no ties to FOTW-

GVD
Sep-29-2005, 2:50pm
And don't buy the hype of MidMo not being a BG mando. #I've seen people out picking folks with F styles on old A oval hole Gibsons which are "celtic or old time mandolins".

I'll second that. At Winfield this year one of the people in our camp brought an M0 and that thing just flat cranked. I played that thing in several jams and never had any problems being heard. It had a little different tone than your standard f hole BG mandolin. Not neccesarily better or worse just different. It definitely sounded and played better than any other mandolin I've ever tried in that price range.

GVD

luckylarue
Sep-29-2005, 3:03pm
Mid-Mo, not a bluegrass instrument? I beg to differ. Chuck, don't listen to anyone who tells you bluegrass can't be played on an oval-hole mandolin - especially that freak, Lane. Why, just yesterday I was rippin' through a decent version of "Baltimore Jonny" on the Mid-Mo M1. Sounded like bluegrass to me. My advice: Wait and pick up a used Mid-Mo - but not from FOTW. There were a couple recently posted in the classifieds here on the cafe - but they don't last long.

Benig, Which one did you get?

Bob DeVellis
Sep-29-2005, 3:43pm
As a guitar guy, have you ever played, say, a good example of Martin 00-17? They're the all-mahogany ones in sub-Dreadnaught size. Until relatively recently, they cost a mere fraction of the Dreadnaughts, especially the fancier Dreadnaughts. They are not the quintessential bluegrass instrument -- not a D-28. But they're great instruments! Rather than compare them to a D-28, compare them to a Chinese-made D-28 copy. Although some of the Asian imports are very nice guitars, there's a playability and sweetness of tone to the Martin that's hugely rewarding. The Asians can look really great and play and sound pretty good. But head-to-head the 00-17, despite being at the low end of the Martin line, will sound and feel a whole lot better to many players. To my mind, Mid-Mo is sort of like the 00-17 of the mandolin world. (I say "sort of" because the comparison is somewhat of an exaggeration but I hope it makes the basic point.) No frills. It's not the quintessential bluegrass instrument but at a fraction of the price of a nice bluegrass instrument, you get a really well-made, general-purpose mandolin. I've had a bunch of mandolins (and sitll have several). I had a Kentucky 250S back when they were from Japan (and generally better regarded than the more recent Chinese and Korean ones). Nice sounding mandolin. It felt nice in the hand, too. But it didn't stay in tune all that well and it needed a fair amount of fiddling with to get it at its best. It had the general character of a bluegrass instrument but no one would ever mistake its for a really nice f-hole mando. Much less complexity and much less volume, although it was still nice. In contrast, my Mid-Mo sounds great, is built beautifully for the type of instrument it is, and has a wonderful tone extremely well suited to folk or old-time country. Its tone and volume compare very favorably to other flat-back mandolins, including some vitage instruments costing substantially more. It's very, very playable. It's not the mandolin I play most often but I still regard it as a very good instrument and among the best value of all the mandolins I have.

If you learn on a Mid-Mo, you may or may not decide that another style of mandolin would be somewhat better suited to your musical tastes. If you do, you'll still regard the Mid-Mo as a valuable second instrument -- at least if you're like most of us. We all end up with more than one. In the beginning, you'll be too preoccupied with trying to get double-strings at high tension to do what you want them to do than you will be about subtle tonal characteristics, trust me. Having an instrument that is more or less suited to a particular style, I think, is pretty irrelevant at that point.

The Mid-Mo is affordable to beginners but really can be kept and enjoyed by players at any level. Now don't get me wrong: it's not comparable to a $3000 mandolin. But, in its own way, it "meets and exceeds its goals" as well as anything out there. I've got several higher-end instruments, and frankly I like them better than my Mid-Mo, but I still consider my Mid-Mo a very nice instrument and an outstanding value.

Pacomax
Sep-29-2005, 3:58pm
Thanks Bob http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I asked one of the site sponsors to email me when they get a used Mid-Mo in. I'm convinced that, with all the pats on the back Mid-Mo's have gotten here, it must be a great value! If you hear of any for sale, my email is 5282JT@MSN.COM http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Michael H Geimer
Sep-29-2005, 4:36pm
Chuck, I'm glad your hearing the chorus of praises for Mid-Mo's.

Larue, I picked up an M-0. Spruce/Mahogany. Great tone. A nice contrast to my M-11.

I really can't get much a 'chop' out of my M-11, but this M-0 does a passable 'fake'. In fact chords in general blend together quite nicely on this M-0 ... whereas the M-11 has more string separation than you'd want for strumming, but has a fuller tone on single notes.

Oddly, I now realize my M-11 has a wide neck @ 1-3/16" #vs. the M-0's 1-1/16" Neither measurement agrees with the Mid-mo website. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Pacomax
Sep-29-2005, 4:59pm
The Mid Missori company must feel quite proud, if the read these posts! It's nice to hear people compliment your work!

J. Mark Lane
Sep-29-2005, 5:08pm
Freak? Freak?! Hey, I represent that!

Actually, I almost cut my hair...it happened just the other day. (But the barber couldn't find it, so I left.)

Anyway, I never said bluegrass can't be played on an oval hole instrument. I daresay, my Pomeroy F4 would make a fine bluegrass instrument, in the hands of someone who could actually play. Even in my hands, I stumble through stuff that would normally sound like bluegrass. The difference is, I think, it's a carved top instrument, where the Mid-Mo's are obviously flat top. And the shape and depth of the Mid-Mo box just don't produce a "bluegrass sound," generally speaking.

But hey, I say playing anything on anything. There is no set recipe for music.

Michael H Geimer
Sep-29-2005, 5:52pm
Agreed. You *can* play any style you want on a Mid-mo (or any oval holed type), but there is a quality of focused projection that happens with a *good* archtop ... emphasis on good!

I have yet to hear any sub $500 archtop that can 'chop' any better than a Mid-mo! So forget the rules, and buy the best quality you can at the price you can afford.

But should you get that Bluegrass bug ... better start saving your duckets! Chop is expensive ... and fancy strap holders cost even more.

- Benig ... who 'chops', jams, and gigs with his Weber, one with a fancy strap holder an all.

GVD
Sep-29-2005, 10:12pm
J. Mark Lane Posted

...I almost cut my hair...it happened just the other day.

Did you have the flu for Christmas too? #

GVD

luckylarue
Sep-30-2005, 2:07am
JML - as nice as your expanding collection is, I think "mando freak" is quite an appropriate classification. Good flat-top &gt; bad arch-top.

mad dawg
Sep-30-2005, 10:16am
So today is the big day; have you found your new mandolin yet? #

Enjoy your purchase, and don't worry about whether or not you picked the "right" or "wrong" brand, model, or style -- as long as you enjoy playing it, it will simply be your first mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Pacomax
Sep-30-2005, 11:31am
After all the good advice I got here, I decided not to be so hasty. I think I will wait to find a nice used Mid-Mo[B]
But, the discussion is certainly still open to suggestions on instruments that can be had, used for $400.00 or less.
I OVE ADVICE FROM THOSE WITH EXPERIENCE!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif