PDA

View Full Version : need tune to play at a friends wedding

aiko73
Jan-19-2004, 6:50pm
a friend has asked me to play 2 tunes at his wedding. The first he chose- and I choose the 2nd. It will be while the brides ring is being passed around for folks to look aT. Laid back, northern Cali. hippie wedding. Something classical or early? - but not too tough (it is May 1st) I would give myself an intermediate rating - Any idwas? something that I could find tab to would be ideal. Thanks for your help!

aiko

stanley
Jan-19-2004, 7:41pm
I've been thinking about playing "A Place in the Heart" at my niece's wedding...but I would want a guitar accompiament (hmmm...lets see how is that word spelled...)

bill

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-19-2004, 8:06pm
Waltz of the Little Girls makes a very nice wedding song, I've used it several times, with just mandolin. I hate to let it get out that I have ever played anything that could be considered pretty.

I'm trying to tab it out on tabledit, but the editor and I are have differences of opinions on timing. Just like my stupid metronome.

fiddler59
Jan-19-2004, 8:21pm
Kneel Before Him by Chris Thile on Stealing Second

Yonkle
Jan-19-2004, 10:09pm
I'd leave out "50 Ways to leave your lover"

duspinst
Jan-19-2004, 11:02pm
Bite the Bullet by Neil Young...

OlderThanWillie
Jan-19-2004, 11:07pm
Lover's Waltz by Jay Ungar & Molly Mason is a beautiful song and is pretty easy to play (and learn). It's the title song on their Lover's Waltz CD.

jim simpson
Jan-19-2004, 11:57pm
I always liked "I knew the bride when she used to rock and roll" by Dave Edmonds.

MOP
Jan-20-2004, 12:13am
Tomorow is my wedding day http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

JiminRussia
Jan-20-2004, 12:15am
"My Last Days on Earth"?

mandomiss
Jan-20-2004, 12:16am
Bridalveil Falls perhaps?

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-20-2004, 1:32am
There's always Johnny Winters' "Check Out Her Mother", a real tear jerker.

MandoPup
Jan-20-2004, 6:29am
I played "I'm and Old Cowhand" at a friends wedding once. That went over pretty good.

jeffshuniak
Jan-20-2004, 7:52am
there are many italian songs which are suitable for mandolin solo and are very beautiful and one I can think of is almost perfect for wedding is called (from Italian)
"tonight we dance the last mazurka" ok well the name is wrong, but the melody is one "of the one's" you hear in movies or TV when the lovers see each other from a distance and come running with open arms, usually they twirl around and leaves fall, some kinda crap like that.:D I would be happy to send you something .

fiddler59
Jan-20-2004, 7:59am
" I Tried To Wear My Mothers Girdle But I got Too Much Guts" by Benny Martin

jim simpson
Jan-20-2004, 8:00am
Oh, and don't leave out, "Long Black Veil"!

John Flynn
Jan-20-2004, 10:51am
"Cape Breton Wedding March" from The Buckhannon Brother's "Little River Stomp" CD is beautiful and a lot of fun to play on the mando.

mandowilli
Jan-20-2004, 11:06am
I have used Kate Wolf's "Give Yourself To Love" several times. It goes over very well.

willi

watkinsthilefan
Jan-20-2004, 1:42pm
Golden Pond by Chris Thile or The Birth by Sean Watkins are two good choices.

straight-a
Jan-20-2004, 3:15pm
Let's see......

Misery River
Don't Let Your Deal Go Down
I Know You're Married But I Love You Still
Hey Joe
End Of The Innocence

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

doanepoole
Jan-20-2004, 3:26pm
Rain and Snow!

then

More Pretty Girls Than One

KYGirl
Jan-20-2004, 3:37pm
"Your as fine as fine can be" Gordon Lightfoot

A great version can be found on "Tony Rice sings Gordon Lightfoot"

Odeguy
Jan-20-2004, 4:51pm
Look to the original "Godfather" movie where the wedding sequence has some GORGEOUS Italian wedding waltzes ( they're not too hard to learn either ).

Clyde Clevenger
Jan-20-2004, 8:12pm
When Nikki and I got married we chose "Stuff That Works" by Guy Clark for our wedding song, not a dry eye in the pasture.

Ott
Jan-20-2004, 8:47pm
"Nail that Catfish to a tree" is realll perty,
sorry I'm of no help

aiko73
Jan-20-2004, 8:59pm
thanks for everything so far and keep the responses coming. if i dont get a tune to play at the wedding i will at least check out a bunch of new music!

mandowilli
Jan-20-2004, 11:17pm
Odeguy, you are so right. I bought that CD and learned several of the songs from it, although I have never played any at a wedding.
The Godfather Waltz (Come live Your Life With Me), is a song that stops them from talking and makes them start paying attention every time. Trust me!

willi

mandolinplayer
Jan-21-2004, 1:40am
How about "Haste to the Wedding?" It's in the "Fiddler's Fakebook". I'm also playing at a friend's wedding - on the 31st (with a 12-string guitar player), but we're just doing the standard 60's folk songs that everybody knows. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

CharlieKnuth
Jan-21-2004, 7:15am
Any of the many Turlough O'Carolan tunes work well for weddings. Try Planxty Fanny Poer or Lord Inchiquin. His music always goes well with weddings.

jeffshuniak
Jan-21-2004, 8:23am
I have the "godfather mazurka" and "speak softy , love" (theme) but I lack the "godfather waltze" -- but I can get it.

MichaelJ
Jan-31-2004, 4:10pm
I'm leaving in an hour to play a wedding... I'm only playing two of the 7 songs (Catholic wedding); one song is "Blushing Bride" written by a local Irish performer, Danny O'Flaharety, and the other is "Wedding Song", don't know who wrote it, though.

boatman
Jan-31-2004, 8:29pm
I can't tell from the posts if you're doing an instrumental or something with vocals; if the latter, "You take my breath away" covered by Tuck & Patty is quite nice. Dittos on the Carrollan pieces.

oldwave maker
Feb-01-2004, 9:48am
'dont fence me in'
'dont get around much any more'
'we three'
are sure fun, we get some odd looks if we play
'made the mistake of my life (the day I made my girlfriend my wife)'

SandyBarRanch
Feb-01-2004, 9:19pm
I like "Give Me Your Hand" an old Irish tune, Maybe Turlogh O'Carolan? Sweet tune!

Mando Medic
Feb-01-2004, 9:27pm
By the way, speaking of weddings. I need to find a recording of "Nancy's Waltz" by Virgil Evans. It's a bit different than the other Nancy's Waltz that has been around awhile. Virgil is dead now and he wrote the tune for his favorite lady, Nancy, and recorded in on "Flying Fiddler", now long out of print. I'd appreciate any leads.

Clyde, I knew you had a soft side to you, you old hard case you! I'm spreading the word at Wintergrass. Kenc

mandroid
Feb-02-2004, 1:37am
So whats wrong with Mendalsson's March movement?

Or on a lighter note from 'my fair lady' , "get me to the church on time"

I have 'with a little bit of luck' on my favorite tunes list too.

NickelCreeker
Feb-02-2004, 1:49am
I'd leave out "50 Ways to leave your lover"

LOL! My Dad sings that song in his own way, he says "50 ways to loose your flubber" Haha..

ANYHOO! Dudes?! J.S. Bach?!! Jesu,Joy of Mans Desiring! Great Wedding song!!!!!!!!

AmosMoses
Feb-08-2004, 10:49am
You don't say if you're singing or just playing. What's wrong with 'Angel Band'

mando bandage
Feb-08-2004, 1:51pm
Gringo Honeymoon by Robert Earl Keen. Romantic, but with a twist.

R

Dfyngravity
Feb-10-2004, 11:18am
I just played in a wedding along with my best friend. He is a classical guitar major and of course I play mandolin. I play a lot of classical too so it was nothing new to me. I have plenty of classical stuff that you can play at the wedding. We did Minuet in G, Bourree in Em, the Bridal March, Wedding March, Pavane, Gymnopedie, and two others that we wrote. If you are really wanting a nice song to play I have a book by Melbay, it is violin music for weddings. I am sure if you go to any music store or to Melbays website you can find it or something close. I hope this helps and the best of luck in the wedding.