PDA

View Full Version : Goldtone GM110

RBM
Mar-17-2004, 11:00am
I saw a Goldtone GM110 yesterday at a local shop - nicely finished - I did not have time to play it but wondered if anyone out there had any experience with it yet ?? I know about its relationship to Rigel I am interested in how it plays.

John Flynn
Mar-17-2004, 1:09pm
I have played one in a store. I thought it played and sounded pretty good. It does not have the Rigel's radiused fingerboard, which I think is one of the Rigel's strong points. Also, just like buying an F-style in that price range, some of the cost is going to fancy woodwork over a comparably priced A, not to mention Rigel licensing fees. A better deal can likely be found in that price range with an A model. If you are really stuck on the appearance, though, it's a decent instrument.

Dioptase
Mar-18-2004, 5:07am
In the 600$ price range I'd reccomend checking out the mid mos. Totally different look. Really nice sound.

I've played a few goldtones. They're Ok, and the goldtone people are really nice folks.

If you're looking to play with a large acoustic stringband, I'd reccomend you save a bit more money and buy a well made A style. Breedlove, Gibson, Rigel and other all make fine instruments that you'll find new or used between 800-1000$.

If you plan to play alone, or in a smaller, quieter setting, think about an american or european made flat top. I've seen used Mid Mos as low as 300$... Great tone to those instruments, and they're an instrument you'll still appreciate once you've upgraded for certain applications. Flatiron has some nice flattops under 600$. I don't know what Jimmy Moon, a builder in Scotland, is charging for his flattops, but they absolutely sing. I walked out of a store having sampled Summits, Breedloves, and high end Gibson models and it was that Jimmy Moon flattop that stood out in my mind.

I think that a gold tone would be less likely to hold it's value for resale, and I also think it would sit unplayed once you upgrade... as we all invariably do.

Micah