PDA

View Full Version : Silver Angel

bgmando
Sep-25-2005, 2:18pm
I heard a Silver Angel mandolin at Winfield in 2004 and was really impressed with it. It was a lefty, so I didn't play it.
But I've pondered this model since but no little about them except for their web site.

Anybody here own and play them, or have any experience with them? Good-bad-average?

Doug Edwards
Sep-25-2005, 5:46pm
I have thoroughly enjoyed mine. I get many compliments on it's volume, tone, and playability. Mine is an earlier model and has been played a lot. It has a simple scroll and there are some fit/finish issues. The sound of this mandolin more than compensates for its small flaws. I love the photos I've seen on the Cafe of many beautiful works of art. I had opportunity to play mine and loved the sound. It was affordable, played well, and it spoke to me.

Everyone has their own preferences and ideas of what they want and like. If the instruments sings to your soul, it's the right one.

Magnus Geijer
Sep-25-2005, 7:22pm
The day my playing warrants purchasing a real mandolin, I'm getting a Ratcliff/Silver Angel. To me, there is no better value for the money, especially the later ones, that have fit and finish fully in class with the sound.

/Magnus

PCypert
Sep-25-2005, 10:04pm
The Laura A styles (newer ones) are getting really nice in the fit and finish department and the sound is all there. Really nice woof in all the SA mandolins. Check out Daspunks videos. Do a search and give em a listen. Good stuff.
Paul

picksnbits
Sep-26-2005, 8:33am
I've had the privilege of being the first owner of a Silver Angel F for a little over a year now and I'm very pleased with it. I haven't owned any other high quality mandolins, but I did test-drive everything I could get my hands on when I was shopping and it was definitely the most bang for the buck. I've had quite a few compliments on it from other pickers too.

bgmando
Sep-26-2005, 8:13pm
Thanks for all the replies -- very helpful -- only downside is now my curiosity about these mandolins is even stronger. Hope to run into another one in person soon.

jugband
Sep-28-2005, 6:42am
Thanks for all the replies -- very helpful -- only downside is now my curiosity about these mandolins is even stronger. Hope to run into another one in person soon.
I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. I bought #199 out of the classifieds here, and I'm guessing it should arrive in about 10-14 days. We'll see how it sounds... it certainly does LOOK plenty good!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/SilverangelAll.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

jugband
Sep-28-2005, 6:51am
The sound of this mandolin more than compensates for its small flaws.
That's what it's all about... what it's ALL about!

I'm primarily a bass player, and pretty basses are neat, but I've seen some that looked like they'd been dragged down a gravel road behind a pickup, which the owner would't take $10,000 for, simply because of the sound.

With any instrument, the desirability factors should be
1. Sound
2. Sound
3. Sound
4. Looks

Otherwise, you could buy Dean instruments, and Carlo Robelli, both of which tend to be good lookers... I host Pure Acoustic Jams, (currently Pure Acoustic Bluegrass) and I've seen some pretty striking Dean guitars, but every one of them had a sorry, sorry sound.

Don Christy
Sep-28-2005, 8:53am
Ken finished #225 for me this past June. I am really happy with the sound and finish. Of course I'm biased, but I think it's one of the best deals in mandolins at under $3k (and it's a custom).

Ken will work with you to get the sound you want and the finish you want. Ken's great to work with. He really wants you to be happy with the instrument. I recommend the varnish finish.

Good luck
Don

PCypert
Sep-28-2005, 9:37am
The fit and finish woes have come and gone. These guys have finally managed to pull the aesthetics inline with the sound. Great mando in my opinion. I think some of the funky headstocks and colors are the only things that have kept more people from jumping on board, cause they have a BG whoomph to them.
Paul

Scott Rucker
Sep-28-2005, 12:16pm
I've been quite happy with my Silver Angel. It's from 2001, and has some fit and finish issues, but the sound and feel are all there. I didn't care for the original ebony nut, or for the original bridge that Ken made. He replaced both for me at practically no charge, the nut to bone and the bridge to the current one he uses on new boxes (He buys them, now).

His newer work seems to be the real deal. The last time I was at Ken's (last winter), the new ones he had there had fine looking detail work to go with the monster tone and good feel of the earlier ones.

I think marrying Laura has been good for Ken's work.

As an aside, when they first married, and she had just begun to build, he offerred to sell me one of her A styles for what I know realize was practically nothing. What a fool I was not to take it!

Doug Edwards
Sep-28-2005, 12:38pm
#I think some of the funky headstocks and colors are the only things that have kept more people from jumping on board, cause they have a BG whoomph to them.
I kinda like my funky headstock, it's definately not a cookie cutter type. It has never been mistaken for a Gib*n by it's looks.

PCypert
Sep-28-2005, 8:01pm
I kind of like em too...but you know these BG traditionalists.

Paul

jasona
Oct-01-2005, 1:43pm
I love my Ratcliff A5. Its Laura's 6th mando, and while there are minor issues (the narrow headstock leads to one string bending around a lower tuner post which has no impact on sound) it has incredible tone. And I got it used for less than some of the Eastmans--which is probably no longer possible. I also changed out the nut for string spacing, and switched to a Cunberland Acoustics bridge, at Ken's suggestion, which really improved the tone, especially up the neck. Its my last mandolin (unless I win the Collings, which will then be my backup!).

Mark Walker
Oct-04-2005, 5:01pm
I bought a Silver Angel from Ken in 2002, (Oliva, #197, pictured below)and it immediately 'made noise' and stood out among all the bluegrass jams and venues I attended after receiving her. The bark and tone of them are unequaled for their prices, and Ken's fit and finish has improved dramatically. (I agree that much of it is due to his wife Laura's 'attention to perfection' that she puts into hers!) For the money, you cannot buy a better custom-made mandolin with the incredible sound they have. I just got my second one - trading up to an oil finish and a painting on the back - and while only a few weeks old, it sounds even better than my previous one! You can't go wrong with an Angel next to your heart!

David M.
Oct-05-2005, 7:52am
I once owned a pre-Laura Silver Angel. made solely by Ken. maybe a 2000 model? Good tone, nice broken in feel when playing it. Sometimes I wish I hadn't traded it.

Frank Russell
Oct-05-2005, 10:46am
Not trying to upset any owners here. I have heard some really good things about these F's from people who know their stuff. The only question I had was about the scroll. Is it a fully-carved scroll, or only carved in the shape of one. What I mean is that it looks like you can't slip your strap securely over the scroll like most F-styles. Please let me know if you have one. Frank

picksnbits
Oct-05-2005, 10:55am
Ken makes more than one style. The classic (which is what I have) is a traditional F-style with a traditional scroll.

Doug Edwards
Oct-05-2005, 12:25pm
#Is it a fully-carved scroll, or only carved in the shape of one. #What I mean is that it looks like you can't slip your strap securely over the scroll like most F-styles. #Please let me know if you have one. #Frank
Frank

Closetmando's is a carved open scroll and mine is not. I had to adjust for the strap as a regular one will not fit well. It's not a big deal to me. I'll bet there were some who snarled up their noses when the first two point or F style hit the market 'cause it was different.

bluegrassjack2
Oct-05-2005, 6:38pm
I think the mandolin player with Karl Shiflett just got a new silver angle.