PDA

View Full Version : Central Coast, CA

clarksavage
Sep-24-2005, 10:47am
I have an organized jam nearby on Wednesday evenings in Morro Bay (at the Morro Bay Brewing Company.... come on down after dinner if you're around) I work into the evening on that night and sadly cannot often attend.

I'm looking to hook up with some local intermediates/beginners, or travelers coming through, to share music, ideas, instruments and coffee or beer.

I teach (computer science) at Cal Poly State University in San Luis Obispo and live about 12 miles from there. Happy to pick convenient locations.

Clark

Tim Conroy
Sep-24-2005, 2:16pm
Clark-

If you haven't already, check out Ruddell's Smokehouse in Cayucos on Sunday afternoons, after 2:30 or so. Skill level ranges from rank amateur (which is where I fit in), to some pretty good players. There's no specific genre, it depends on who's there- you might hear Sittin on Top of the World followed by Under My Thumb followed by Satin Doll. Some weekends it works, some it doesn't, but it's usually fun.

Take D Street all the way to the beach, you can't miss it.

Tim

clarksavage
Sep-24-2005, 10:21pm
Thanks, Tim. That could work for me. I'm in Los Osos. Have you gone to the Morro Bay Brewing Company on Wednesday evenings? They seem really good, let me in and helped me a bit, I'm a rank amateur, too.... mostly.

See you soon.

Clark

siren_20
Sep-25-2005, 8:54pm
I'll try to check out the jam, Clark. I'm a Junior at Cal Poly (specifically, an EE), so if you have a particularly slow office hour, maybe we could jam on-campus.
J.T.

Tim Conroy
Sep-26-2005, 8:53am
Haven't been to the Wednesday jam, I'm ususally tied up on Wed eves. Hopefully you didn't try Ruddell's yesterday, there was a Katrina relief thing going at the old barn and everyone was up there.

LeftCoastMark
Sep-29-2005, 11:48am
Jim Mueller, who teaches in the math dept. at Poly, is a wonderful old-time fiddler and knows a wealth of tunes. Learning old-time tunes by ear is a wonderful way to learn (that's how I started...at the Wed. evening old-time jam here in Santa Barbara). Just don't tell those old-timers that you're interested in bluegrass.....they'll eat your lunch.

If you're looking to hear some great bluegrass this coming Saturday Oct. 1, check out my band the PorchDogs in concert at the El Capitan Canyon Concert Series, up the 101 a ways from SB. A beautiful venue for bluegrass, and usually a great crowd. 7-9 PM