PDA

View Full Version : Eastman oval hole, A vs. F

spoefish
Sep-24-2005, 3:52am
I have been playing an Eastman 604 (A, oval hole) for 3 months now and really love it. #But, I have a chance to trade up to a 614 (F, oval hole) #and wonder if anyone has any experience comparing the two of them since this is all going to be done through the mail. #I like the 604 because of the woodyness and the lower end - I think it is sort of the D-28 of the mandolin world. #At the top end it is a seems a little weak, but lower and mids are very full. #And it plays easy and looks great. #I do mind the short neck a bit, and the fact that it is hard to get past the 12th fret (maybe if my technique was better, but....) and the 614 has better access to those upper notes. #And it does have the scroll (arrgh, scroll envy again). #Just don't know what I would be giving up (besides $300)to get the longer fingerboard and scroll. #I think the the 604 has a really long and full body which may be why the lower and mids are so good. Don't know to what extent the scroll makes up for this.#Maybe I can have both, but I don't think so. #Thanks for your help on this one.

Stephen

John Flynn
Sep-24-2005, 4:39am
I'm not sure you will have better fret access on the 614. Both are 12 frets to the crosspiece. Also, the common wisdom is that an F built with the same woods and production quality as an A is going to sound comparable. Plus, there is variability in the sound of each instrument, even with standardized production.

I agree on the lack of treble in Eastman A ovals, however. I noticed that in the two I've played, which were both new at the time I played them and were about a year apart in date of manufacture. You may be more successful improving that by experimenting with different strings and bridge saddles. Also, the treble may develop as it breaks in. The treble on my Old Wave A oval was quite adequate when I got it, but has since developed to being very nice.

But of course, if you are just wanting us help you talk yourself into a scroll, disregard all of the above!

spoefish
Sep-24-2005, 8:15pm
Well, I did what I usually do in this situation - I played my 604 a lot today, seeing if it would talk to me. And it did. I came to realize that there is just nothing I don't like about the mandolin. The whole range is just great and all of the notes are clear with no muddyness. Nice to feel it against my chest - it vibrates my chest and stomach in the same way my Ome 12" banjo did. Hmmmmm, I really like this mandolin. And it turns out the 614 got sold to someone else, so everything turned out for the best. And I can't think of a thing I wold improve on with the 604. What a nice outcome. Think I will go play some more.

Stephen