PDA

View Full Version : Thomastick Strings dying?

denismca
Jan-19-2004, 6:16pm
Got a set of Thomastick-Infeld strings on for past six months and I like the way they sound. Trouble now is that even though the strings sound in harmony when played open, when fretted the A pairing are out of tune with each other. Any similar tales or any suggestions before I change the lot?

ronlane3
Jan-19-2004, 6:27pm
If you've had them on for 6 months and have been playing them alot, it could just be that A is about to give out and break on you. I've had similar thing with a D string before it broke while I was playing it.

Stillpicking
Jan-19-2004, 9:25pm
I am on my third set of TS strings. I been keeping them on for about 6 months and then replace them. I found that they start to get hard to keep in tune after that amount of time.

THP
Jan-21-2004, 10:57am
wow 6 months???
Thats lots of pickin time on one set of strings.
I woud say they are worth it.
I have used them now for almost 5 years. I find they last three times longer than other brands.
Sounds like yours were just on their way out..time to throw a new set on.
yes too..they are worth it.

SteveW
Jan-21-2004, 9:46pm
Yep, that's what the T-I rep, Thomguy, said once on the big T-I thread -- that they last and last and then one day they won't stay in tune. But six months per set can't be beat.

Stillpicking
Jan-22-2004, 1:35pm
I don't know about you guys but the TIs are a LOT easier on my fingers, can actually play a lot longer and the next day I still have feeling in the tips or maybe it is less pain and more feeling?

mcashion
Jan-29-2004, 6:46pm
I found that right at six months, the E string just all of a sudden sounded harsh and tinny...I could hear it ringing out over all the other notes, especially when open. I tried to play softer, but it was awful. changed the lot right away. The other strings seemed to still be in good shape and sounded good, so being the cheap woman I am , I put the A,D,and G on my old Alvarez and got rid of the silk ones. Left the E on and it sounds better. I also moved up from the medium to heavy this time on my breedlove and the sound is even louder and better than with the medium.

jeffshuniak
Feb-03-2004, 1:39pm
I have had strings that were in tune open and out when fretted. I even had brand new strings do that. something is wrong with one of them. age probably mabye oil build up, sometimes the string becomes indented (underside) where it is pressed against the fretwire. that effects the whole "size" of the string, throwing the intonation off. if you play on some frets much more than others , that can happen faster than norm.

six months? geez. you should weld them to your mandolin.