PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Banjo DVD

Cetecea
Sep-23-2005, 11:13am
Has anyone used the DVD "Bluegrass Jamming, A Guide For
Newcomers and Closet Pickers" that Dr. Banjo (Pete Wernick) has out? I am wondering if it would be good for a mandolin player who is just starting out. The concept seem cool... or maybe there is one out specifically for mandolin...

Thanks!

adgefan
Sep-23-2005, 11:57am
It's a good DVD for any bluegrass instrument (it features them all, including dobro). It's very useful especially to a beginner - it helped me out a lot before I was good enough to sit in real jams.

Cetecea
Sep-23-2005, 12:16pm
Thanks! I will look into getting it. It sure is nice to be able to ask these kind of questions and hopefully savew some $$ and frustration!
Louis

Cetecea
Oct-27-2005, 4:06pm
An update:
I ordered the DVD and it is multi-instrument friendly. Very good for a beginner. Though I am a beginner on mandolin this was slowed down too much for me. I would have preferred the next DVD in the series that I believe doesn't do the ULTRA-slow play along. All the same I continue to use for lead improvisation and will continue to "jam" along with it...

Dixieland
Oct-27-2005, 7:37pm
An update:
I ordered the DVD and it is multi-instrument friendly. Very good for a beginner. Though I am a beginner on mandolin this was slowed down too much for me. I would have preferred the next DVD in the series that I believe doesn't do the ULTRA-slow play along. All the same I continue to use for lead improvisation and will continue to "jam" along with it...[I][QUOTE]

I agree as I have both DVD's. The "Slow Jam" is too slow for playing rhythm but very good for "lead breaks". The other "Bluegrass Jamming" is a little faster...but not by much. What really attracted me to these products also was the song selections. These are the very songs that everyone in my "Jam Session/Picking Parties" play. I would highly recommend these DVD's.