PDA

View Full Version : The thrill of the hunt.

357mag
Sep-22-2005, 10:00pm
Im about a week away from paying off my Eastman. Than after I know that is secured, I have another 3-4 days before it arrives.Then I have the pleasure of admiring and playing it. Then posting a brief evaluation on here. Than what?
More MAS? A bitter sweet experience. Cant wait!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

diamond ace
Sep-22-2005, 10:12pm
If you have a mandolin now I would start working on something new to play and try to learn it before your new one gets here. That should help take your mind of things a bit.

elenbrandt-redux
Sep-23-2005, 1:05am
It has often been said -- "We need a little less eBay and a little more Mel Bay."

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mando on the side
Sep-23-2005, 1:30am
The thrill is an amazing rush...like a new relationship.

Sometimes when that dies, people break up because they're not interested anymore. But sometimes, it's just the opposite, the love grows.

I have an eastman also, I loved it at first, but now after it's opened up even more, there are no words. Thus true love. Except a mandolin won't ever break your heart, not even when the scroll part of the headstock breaks off...it won't get mad at you for hurting it, it'll only love you more

sorry if it sounded weird

steve in tampa
Sep-23-2005, 4:27am
Order a custom Weber.

357mag
Sep-23-2005, 4:46am
Send money.

PCypert
Sep-23-2005, 5:55am
It is almost a downer when it arrives. Delayed gratification is good though. Paying yours off helped tone the hunt excitement down some. I miss the correspondences with the seller, the looking in the classifieds and agonizing over options, etc. when I finally pull the trigger. Trust me that it probably won't be your last. My wife is pretty strict and lays down the law, but I still manage to pull off a trade and an upgrade every year or so. I think my next one will tide me over for quite some time though. Try your best to practice and not think of another mando as a solution to whatever tone, playing, etc problem you might be facing at the moment. We forget here in the boards that back in the day people were playing Monkey Ward brand instruments and didn't even have the luxury of a "good for the money" eastman. Be happy with what you have and play the piss out of it. Saying that more for me than for you http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif. See you on the boards in six months agonizing over the trade up to a quality A style....
Paul

John Flynn
Sep-23-2005, 9:32am
I think one of the reasons MAS is so powerful is the thrill of the "hunt." It is just so satisfying to think about buying a mando, researching it, making the decision, putting in the order, waiting for it, getting it, getting it set up the way you want, enjoying playing it, hearing it open up and finally deciding it's a "keeper." To me, it really is more than the mando itself, its the whole process.

That's why MAS is incurable. The better you start to understand your own preferences and the better mandos you get, the more satisfying the experience and the more you want to repeat it. I guess I should thank heaven for my wife, or I would just be spending every penny I earn to get my next fix!