PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Commission Carbon Fiber Mando (1 1/4" nut)

Chublett
Sep-04-2021, 4:06pm
I play a Big Muddy and I love it. My wife and I are on the move a lot these days as a result of some family members having a decline in health. This winter is going to be spent going from extremely dry climate (Colorado Springs) to extremely humid (Florida). I'm wanting to commission a carbon fiber mandolin that has a wide nut similar to my Big Muddy. I'd also like to have either a 2 point or a F. Does anyone know of any builders that do stuff like this?

Thanks,

- Chublett :mandosmiley:

mandroid
Sep-04-2021, 6:41pm
Peter Mix Quit . I own an A5 .. it's 3 cm wide @ the nut online pix
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1310/3673/files/newmad-carbon-fiber-mandolin.jpg?v=1539118076

there was a new one mentioned, priced lower , doubt there is much fingerboard width options ..
nature of making the mold to lay up the carbon composite is not like a one off in wood ..

try these guys? https://www.zmandolins.com/

https://martinjacobson.com/id/projects/mando/carbon-fiber-mandolin-prototype
this ever make it past prototype? IDK

old discussion thread https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/143791-Carbon-fiber-mandolins

DaveGinNJ
Sep-04-2021, 6:56pm
Is it an option to get a second wood mando to leave in one of the locations? That would be cheaper and faster

Chublett
Sep-04-2021, 7:32pm
Is it an option to get a second wood mando to leave in one of the locations? That would be cheaper and faster

I planned to leave the Big Muddy in Colorado.. The other would be coming with us in an RV town to Florida & back. I'm not super comfortable leaving anything with family in Florida..

Chublett
Sep-04-2021, 7:38pm
@mandroid I have messaged synergy instruments and another carbon fiber guitar manufacturer to see if they would make one for me. I'm sad to say I started playing Mandolin when the very last of the Z mandolins were being sold (if I remember correctly). I plan to contact Z Mandolins next. I haven't seen anything beyond the prototype from martin jacobson but I suppose I could email him as well. Thank you for the response.

mandroid
Sep-04-2021, 10:27pm
here is another one to chat up .. https://www.synergyinstruments.com/collections/mandolin

Across the border up north ..

John Bertotti
Sep-05-2021, 10:08am
I would ask on the builder section if anyone is interested. There may be a couple experimenting with CF. I can think of one for sure but no production yet and I don’t think it is any less expensive than commissioning a new mando from an independent craftsman.

Chublett
Sep-05-2021, 11:13am
I would ask on the builder section if anyone is interested. There may be a couple experimenting with CF. I can think of one for sure but no production yet and I don’t think it is any less expensive than commissioning a new mando from an independent craftsman.

I anticipate a high cost. I'll try out the builder section! Thank you!

QTC
Sep-05-2021, 1:35pm
The Synergy CF mandolin is pretty newly available. Has anyone played one and have any comments?

Harley Marty
Sep-05-2021, 3:43pm
I’ve made a good few banjos out of bamboo, There are bamboo guitars out there. It’s a very stable material & well worth a try on a mandolin build.

DaveGinNJ
Sep-05-2021, 7:57pm
A custom CF mando sounds really pricy. If cost is not a factor go for it but a lower end wood mando in a hard case should be able to survive storage

BrianWilliam
Sep-06-2021, 7:39am
I live in Colorado and have taken a mandolin to the beach. Maybe just take the big muddy and have it set up when you return home?

Chublett
Sep-06-2021, 8:41pm
I live in Colorado and have taken a mandolin to the beach. Maybe just take the big muddy and have it set up when you return home?

That isn't a bad idea. I could then commit the 5k I was planning on spending for a CF custom build to a wide nut F style. :grin:

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve made a good few banjos out of bamboo, There are bamboo guitars out there. It’s a very stable material & well worth a try on a mandolin build.

I'll have to look into this. I am unfamiliar with Bamboo being used for instruments. I have used bamboo fishing rods and been whacked with long bamboo shoots before when I was a kid.. lol

- - - Updated - - -

I was looking at it as an investment into a mandolin that can survive traveling without any worries from me beyond routine care.

- - - Updated - - -

The Synergy CF mandolin is pretty newly available. Has anyone played one and have any comments?

I have asked for a video of it being played as well... nothing from the builder yet.

harmonist34
Sep-07-2021, 10:25am
I'm also curious about the Synergy mandos. Would love to hear a report if anyone gets one!

JFDilmando
Sep-07-2021, 11:23am
i was interested if any more Z CF mandos were in the works for the future, and contacted him.... answer, absolutely NO.... to the point of, he has destroyed all the molds, to discourage even the thought of building more

Tom Fuldner
Sep-07-2021, 3:05pm
Circle Strings has taken on the Mix line and is making CF mandolins. Expecting delivery of an F5 style this fall. Waiting is a first-world problem.