PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of Cost

fatt-dad
Mar-16-2004, 10:19pm
Well, it probably depends on many factors, but for a "routine" project (i.e., there are no other problems), what is a reasonable cost for removing and replacing a mandolin nut (I'm not talking about fossil ivory or any exotic materials either).

Thanks for your input.

f-d

Yonkle
Mar-16-2004, 11:56pm
If you lived by me I would do it for you free. I just did one on my new mandolin I am building. I did not like the string spacing so I knocked the nut out and cut a new one. It is very easy to do, but if you do not have but files to cut the slots by the time you buy them you may as well paid to have someone do it. I don't know what one would charge for doing it.
If you have a guitar shop in your area maybe they would let you borrow slot files and do it yourself.
Go to Frets.com and they tell how to do it there.
It took me about 2 hours to knock the old one out, measure and cut a new one, glue it in and slot and finish it.The Bone nut blank cost 2.50 #JD

crawdad
Mar-17-2004, 1:08am
Probably $50-75 range, bone nut, done well. Depending on where you are.

fatt-dad
Mar-17-2004, 7:55am
Thanks for the feedback. Yonkle, if you live in Richmond, Virginia i'll drop by tonight. But figuring 2 hours for someone that knows what they are doing seems like more than a hundred bucks - i.e., a plumber is more than $50/hr. I figure that the entire cost is owing the files and the time. Not much cost in the materials.

f-d

Mando Medic
Mar-17-2004, 8:49am
In my shop, a mandolin nut made from bone takes me an hour to make. Shop rate is $65 an hour so the cost is usually $65 plus material. Pearl takes longer because there is more polishing involved. Hope that helps! Kenc

om21ed
Mar-17-2004, 9:15am
this is a timely topic. i was considering trying to change the nut myself and reconsidered after consulting the message board. I took it to my local guitar shop and a job that was supposed to be done in a "couple days" has now gone to 2.5 weeks. I guess it took the first week to get a blank nut. But now i wonder if I should have specified the material for the nut ? What is an average price ? IS $65.00 what i should expect to pay, I didn't inquire. I am concerned about having it done well, its an inexpensive Washburn my wife gave me 19 years ago as a wedding present. I think I'm going to retrieve it today if its done or not. But how do I tell if the next guy knows what he's doing ?

Big Joe
Mar-17-2004, 9:48am
We have a standard $75.00 fee to replace a nut. It does not matter the material...exept fossill ivory. It's strictly based upon time and materials.

Dave Cohen
Mar-17-2004, 11:52am
I live in Richmond, VA. Replacing a nut correctly is a routine but not trivial operation. If you want to contact me, you can find the 'phone number in my website, accessible through the Eye Candy section of this site.