PDA

View Full Version : Inspiration

Mike Buesseler
Sep-21-2005, 4:25pm
My son recently sent me these "rules" from the website of Bob Parsons. #I recognize good advice when I see it (even if I have trouble applying it). #I've been the recipient of SO much good advice, information, and encouragement from you fine folks here at MC, it's about time I give something back. #I modified these for our purposes. #I hope someone finds inspiration in a few of these....

1. Get and stay out of your comfort zone. I believe that not much happens of any significance when we're in our comfort zone. I hear people say, "But I'm concerned about security." My response to that is simple: "Security is for cadavers."

2. Never give up. Almost nothing works the first time it's attempted. Just because what you're doing does not seem to be working, doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that it might not work the way you're doing it. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

3. When you're ready to quit, you're closer than you think. There's an old Chinese saying that I just love, and I believe it is so true. It goes like this: "The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

4. Focus on what you want to have happen. Remember that old saying, "As you think, so shall you be."

5. Take things a day at a time. No matter how difficult your situation is, you can get through it if you don't look too far into the future, and focus on the present moment. You can get through anything one day at a time.

6. Always be moving forward. #Never stop improving. Never stop doing something new. The moment you stop improving something, it starts to die. Make it your goal to be better each and every day, in some small way. Remember the Japanese concept of Kaizen. Small daily improvements eventually result in huge advantages.

7. Measure everything of significance. I swear this is true. Anything that is measured and watched, improves. #(I just listened to an older recording of myself playing....THIS WORKS!!)

8. There's always a reason to smile. Find it. After all, you're really lucky just to be alive. Life is short. More and more, I agree with my little brother. He always reminds me: "We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time."

gnelson651
Sep-22-2005, 11:27am
"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."

Thanks for sharing. I like this quote better than my own approach to getting stuck. When this happens, I remember that we will plateau in our learning until we work through it to start climbing that learning slope again.

I'ver printed a copy of Parsons Rules and will be putting it into my daily practice notebook as a reminder for the times I feel I'm not making any progress.