PDA

View Full Version : My F5 in the White

Gibson A5
Sep-21-2005, 11:42am
Ok, here is my Scratch Built F5 in the white strung up. It’s Douglas Fir and Walnut (with Oak neck strip). I’d like to thank everyone on the board for their known and unknown help. This thing would have looked like a roughed out two by four with out all your help. A special thanks to “Sunburst” for early comments about how to do the scroll. With out his suggestions the scroll would look like a mashed potato and I would have had no place for the binding. I think my first try at scrolls although no where near perfect, looks good enough to use. I am very pleased for my first instrument and believe it or not it sounds great. I am concerned that it will not sound as good with the finish on. How much does it change the sound?
Thanks again for all your help I can’t wait to finish this and start another scratch built.
Bill Pruitt

Gibson A5
Sep-21-2005, 11:43am
And the back.
Bill Pruitt

mandoryan
Sep-21-2005, 11:50am
Very nice work! Keep doing it.

Lane Pryce
Sep-21-2005, 12:21pm
Bill thats a great looking mandolin. As far as the scroll it looks great too. How about a few shots of the inlay stuff? Lp

jmkatcher
Sep-21-2005, 2:01pm
What a great looking instrument! You have a lot to be proud of.

van
Sep-21-2005, 3:07pm
Bravo!

sunburst
Sep-21-2005, 4:25pm
A well applied, thin finish will not have a big affect on the sound. There are different opinions. Some say the finish improves the sound, some say it doesn't, but the change is small if the finish is applied well, regardless of what kind of finish it is.

Very nice looking first mandolin, BTW. Looks like you've done some kind of hand work before this.

(Can a walnut mandolin be "in the white"? More like "in the brown". http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

Steve Davis
Sep-21-2005, 5:00pm
Very nice. I can't wait to see some pictures after it is finished.

Gail Hester
Sep-21-2005, 5:09pm
I believe you that it sounds great, it sure looks great, well done. Do you have plans for staining/finishing?

Not that you asked but sometimes I can't help myself, I love the color it is now so I would apply varnish and then French polish with a ruby shellac. That would provide a finish that's not going to disturb the sound and retain the color yet give it a rich tint. Again, very nice job.

Gibson A5
Sep-21-2005, 6:23pm
Thanks all for the wonderful comments, it makes me feel like I've done Ok on my first try. Sunburst, I guess it is "in the brown". I'm retired now, but I spent a number of years custom hand grinding items at a nuclear ship yard, I have built hundres of balsa wood radio control, contro line and free flight models. I also have built 4 custom homes and a few pieces of wood items for them. But this is my first instrument. Gail, your suggestion on the finnish sounds good and I just may do that. I'll post pictures when it is finished. Thanks again all for all your help.
Bill Pruitt

Dfyngravity
Sep-21-2005, 6:31pm
That's your first try? No good...I think you should scrap it, give it to me and start over again.

Just kidding, no that is a stunning first try. Time after time I see people like you post their first instruments and they are just pieces of eye candy. Makes me want to start building, but I don't want to be embarrassed so I'll let someone else do it for me.

I think Scott should make a new category under the Eye Candy section called "First Time Builders". Then pictures all of these great mandos being built by 1st timers can be put there as some more great eye candy.

Great job there Bill, keep up the great work. I can't wait to see the finished product. Oh, yeah I would go for a varnish finish. It's softer and I think from what I have read and listened to from other builders it allows the top to move more, therefore better overall sound.