PDA

View Full Version : G-string, second fret is sharp

fatt-dad
Mar-16-2004, 6:08pm
Dear NG,

I just received a mandolin and it tunes up nicely, but when noting the second fret of the g-string (i.e, playing an A) the note is sharp. It seems to be more sharp for one string than the other. And, by the time you get to the 12th fret, they seem back in sync. I first thought the fret wire may be out of wack, but when I note the second fret on the other strings, the notes are true. Can just a portion of the fret wire be off? Can this be at the bridge? What "tests" can I do to narrow down the problem?

Thanks in advance.

fatt-dad

Chris Baird
Mar-16-2004, 7:01pm
The slots at the nut may be cut wrong. If the slots are too high it will cause the string to stretch too much and hence an intonation problem. If one slot is higher than the other then that string will be sharper. As most instruments are intonated off the 12th fret it is common to have intonation discrepencies the further one gets from the 12 fret. However, a well built mandolin with medium to low action should not produce a problem that anyone with a normal ear would ever be able to hear.

grsnovi
Mar-16-2004, 7:18pm
Could be the string(s).

fatt-dad
Mar-16-2004, 7:41pm
thanks. So far from what I can see, the nut may be lower than I am used to. My next step will be to tune it noted at the first fret (i.e., one-half step higher than the nut) and see if the tuning variation remains.

f-d

fatt-dad
Mar-16-2004, 10:15pm
o.k., so I tuned the Ab by holding down the first fret of the G string and then ran up the neck. All notes were true. So, I figure that the "problem" must be in the nut. The way I see it, it seems like the nut slot may have a rise in it, making the G string slightly longer (one more than another). With the open tuning, then all is well, but when noting up from the nut, the notes are sharp and gradually become normal as you approach the 12th fret.

Can someone confirm that I am making sense or that this is on the right track?

Thanks so far.

f-d

crawdad
Mar-17-2004, 1:45am
My guess was also the nut. The slots on the G strings are too high, which causes you to have to push too hard to fret the A note on the G string, making it sharp. If the slots were done right, the A should be true. Get it slotted properly and your troubles will be gone.

fatt-dad
Mar-17-2004, 8:01am
Thanks again. I appreciate your feedback as I am going to take it to a local luthier and wanted some background before I got there.

f-d

dudleyunderhill
Mar-17-2004, 9:13am
I had a very similar problem with my mando when it first arrived. I changed the strings, and it went away. I would suggest trying that before paying a luthier to look at it.

Good luck!