PDA

View Full Version : Got my Mando back from FQMS

Christine W
Jan-19-2004, 10:13am
Well I fianally got it back well it was just a week. A relativly short waiting period but seemed forever to me. I had a sullivan bridge put on my MK and I chose Thomastick strings. They got such great reviews on this site so I thought I would try them. I was joking and said now you did make my 600.00 Mk sound like that #20.000 loar in your case right ? #Well its no loar but It sounds great! I actually get notes past the twelvth fret and not just a plink. I never thought it would make such a difference. Ive been playing like crazy. One thing Thomastick strings seem harder on my fingers, but I love the way they sound. Is it me or has anyone else found them to be harder on the fingers? #

Everyone there again was wonder full.

Jan-19-2004, 10:24am
" Is it me or has anyone else found them to be harder on the fingers? "

I think it's just you.......honestly.

Lee
Jan-19-2004, 10:29am
Maybe the callouses on your fingers softened up over the interveneing week.

Fretbear
Jan-19-2004, 11:35am
If you play enough, your fingers will hurt no matter what string you use; sounds like you are going for it.

Christine W
Jan-19-2004, 11:52am
Yeah I think you guys are right. I have been playing more (tired of being the worst player at the jams I attend). I couldn' t keep my fingers off of it all weekend.

Lee957,Maybe the callouses on your fingers softened up over the interveneing week.
I have a backup mando so I played it while the other was away so it's not that.

John Rosett
Jan-19-2004, 12:05pm
i haven't really had any trouble with the thomastiks as far as comfort goes. i tried flatwound strings on my electric guitar, and they were pretty uncomfortable. it was like they had some kind of grit on them. i think they were d'addario brand. one thing i've noticed about the thomastik mando strings is that they seem to have less tension than the d'addario j-74's that i'm used to.
congrats on the mando remodel (remandel?) john

JGWoods
Jan-19-2004, 12:58pm
I find TIs much easier on my fingers. Smoother slides and pull offs make for happy fingers.
gw

johnwalser
Jan-19-2004, 2:29pm
I find when putting on a new set of TIs (not all that often), using very fine steel wool to smooth the strings helps get rid of that gritty feel.
About finger problems, I always enjoyed doing the dishes (warm water always has relaxed me) and now my wife does all the dishes. Don't worry, I have taken over other household chores. My fingers no longer give me any problems no matter how much I play. Might not work for everone.
John

SteveW
Jan-19-2004, 2:48pm
Christine,

So where does one purchase a Sullivan bridge? Does FQMS sell them?

Steve

Christine W
Jan-19-2004, 3:05pm
SteveW,
Yeah you can order them over the internet if you don't live locally. But I highly recomend the trip out there, they have some beautiful mandos and a great staff that know alot about mandolins.

vedauwoorocks
Jan-19-2004, 3:14pm
Christine--I'm glad to hear you had the new bridge put on your mandolin. My import sounded 100 percent better with the new bridge, set up from First Quality and I also have been running the TI's with great luck.
The only "bad thing" about a visit to FQMS is that you leave part of your wallet there.
--Fred

Christine W
Jan-19-2004, 5:22pm
vedauwoorocks ,
Oh but you leave your walltet with anything mando related. Oh well can't take it with you. What import do you play ? Did you get a sullivan bridge also?

vedauwoorocks
Jan-19-2004, 7:13pm
Christine--I play a Olympia F, which is imported by Tacoma. It seems to be very close to a Korean made Kentucky in style, so it was probably made by Sammick. I bought it used and it sounded ok when I got it. The main problem was the lack of sustain and the low end sounded like a "thump" instead of any kind of a note. I talked to Jerry and Chris out at FQMS who suggested the bridge transplant. Now, it sounds like a different instrument. Those guys favor J-74's, but I tried the TI's and I think I like the warmer tone with these strings.
There is a lot to be said for a good luthier setting up mandolin with a good bridge.
They did sway me into the American Made world with a very slightly used Rigel at a great price, which I had to buy. Now, I can see what Dale means when he talks about Rigels. I seem to like the TI's on it too, but I haven't had it long enough to be scientific in that finding!

--Fred

SteveW
Jan-19-2004, 7:30pm
Christine,

I looked on the FQMS web site and couldn't find a Sullivan bridge. I would be interested in ordering one and getting it installed where I live, since I won't be able to make the trek to FQMS.

Can you tell me how to locate the bridge so I can order one?

Steve

vedauwoorocks
Jan-19-2004, 8:39pm
Steve--I think if you call them and ask for Mike, he will steer you towards the correct bridge. It's my understanding that they manufacture these bridges for Gibson and some other companies. Mike could give you the details. They used to set up all of their incoming Morgan Monroes with these bridges, but I am not sure if that is still the case.
Christine might have more info.
--Fred

Christine W
Jan-20-2004, 9:34am
SteveW,
Fred is right talk to either Mike or Michelle they are both knowledgeable and both play the mando. Here is the 1-800-634-2021 they wont' steer you wrong. Tell em' I sent ya!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

SteveW
Jan-20-2004, 12:51pm
Christine,

I called FQMS and talked to Michelle. That bridge sounds like a great deal, and I'll probably be ordering one eventually. Now I just need to find a good setup person here in the Atlanta area.

Thanks,
Steve

Christine W
Jan-20-2004, 12:55pm
SteveW,
Cool, let us know how it works out.
Your welcome

SteveW
Feb-04-2004, 7:45am
Christine,

Thanks for the tip on the Sullivan bridge! I just got my MK back from the luthier Sunday with the bridge installed and a proper setup done. It is as you say -- more tone on the upper and lower registers. I've noticed the improvement particularly up the neck on the A and E strings. And he was able to get the action nice and low so that it's much easier to play.

Now I see what everyone on this board means about getting a luthier to do a proper setup on a new mandolin. Even if you don't get a new bridge, if you have access to someone who can do a good setup, you owe it to yourself and your mandolin to get it done. It will make a world of difference.

Steve

Christine W
Feb-04-2004, 8:48am
SteveW,
Your welcome, glad I could help. I was very suprised also with the sound of my little Mk. I'ts amazing and I have to thank the members of the cafe . Reading all the posts on proper set up really got me motivated to do it.

Don
Feb-04-2004, 9:11am
The thing is,to find a "luthier" or "repairperson" who has the skills to do a good setup.I've learned to be very careful who I entrust my instruments to.

SteveW
Feb-04-2004, 10:07am
Don,

You're absolutely right. I got my mandolin from a high-end guitar shop that carries a lot of mandolins, and the setup on the Michael Kelly wasn't anywhere near right. I'm lucky that my teacher knows a fellow down the road from us who knows what he's doing.

Which raises the question about trying out mandolins in shops. On another thread, Big Joe or Charlie Derrington said that they've seen Gibsons set up at shops with the bridges turned the wrong way, or other problems. So how can one really judge the sound of mandolin in a shop if the thing isn't set up properly? I would be willing to be bet that when someone says some high-end mandolin they've test driven sounds bad, they were playing a poorly setup mandolin.

Steve