PDA

View Full Version : Unique Northfield A5

Chuck Leyda
Jul-21-2021, 10:51pm
Love the look of this one. Looks like an A5 Special but triple bound with a bound front and back with bound fingerboard and headstock for an extra 100 bucks. Wish I was close enough to check it out. NFI.
https://store.dustystrings.com/p-9593-northfield-a52-special.aspx#

urobouros
Jul-21-2021, 11:31pm
I dig the Icelandic Brown finish too! I can't speak to this particular instrument but Dusty Strings is a great shop ��

Glassweb
Jul-22-2021, 12:16am
I played this A5 special mandolin at Dusty Strings last week. Nice, but I much preferred the amber finished Model M they had in stock (for $1,000 less) and a REALLY nice sounding and playing NF5S done in an amber top finish w/faux tortoise shell binding... that one was superb!

I really liked those two amber topped mandolins. The A5 Special not as much...

Mandobar
Jul-22-2021, 5:37am
Never judge an instrument by its color, or appointments. I was at The Music Emporium a week ago when UPS pulled up with a few deliveries, which included four mandolins from Northfield. Some of the mandolins in that batch were already pre-sold. But there was a Big Mon among them that could coax paint off a wall. The top is listed as Special Engelmann Spruce. Timing is everything, in playing music and in finding great mandolins.

Sue Rieter
Jul-22-2021, 6:19am
Timing is everything, in playing music and in finding great mandolins.

That's a great quote!

Chuck Leyda
Jul-22-2021, 8:00am
Never judge an instrument by its color, or appointments.

Agreed. I just thought it was a sharp looking mandolin and I had not seen a fully bound A5 Special before.