PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky 750 or 800

Thomas Chapmond
Sep-19-2005, 9:16pm
I am wanting to move up to an F style from my 1980 Kentucky 300. I am making a decision between a 750 and an 800. The 750 has a radiused fretboard, the 800 has more attractive ornamentation. Both appear to be constructed of the same material. Has anyone heard or played both? Any feedback?

telepbrman
Sep-20-2005, 11:24pm
Hey Uncle, I had Buffalo Brothers play the 750 for me over the phone...and I know it was just phone stuff, but I heard a thin tone, not much bottom, and pawn shop-ish in general. Not to shoot it down 100%, I mean it was just a phone deal, but I did have him play it against a F-9 Gibson, that parking lot picker they have, and it had tone, good bottom, and such, so although it was a phone play deal, the F-9 and 750 did sound different. As a side note, I have played a few imports, Washburn, pawn shop specials and such, and they all had that thin treble type shrill deal going...I love the look of the 750, and maybe you could do some mods, bridge, nut, tail piece, to adjust the tone, but first thoughts are to track down another step up or two on the Mando list....keep us posted, dy.

Lane Pryce
Sep-21-2005, 8:12am
No intrest here but I'd jump all over the A9 in the classifides before purchaseing a kentucky 750 or 800. Just my two. Lp

fatt-dad
Sep-21-2005, 9:29am
JLP got it right - there would be no real comparison between the Kentucky and the A9 - the Gibson being quite the winner.

f-d

Thomas Chapmond
Sep-25-2005, 10:50am
Well now ya'll have peaked my interest in the A9. I have kinda ruled out the Kentuckys at this point. I had not heard of the A9 or F9. My teacher tells me I want good tone, but also good volume. How do these mandolins fare in volume? They seem to have the same finish as the COllings MT and MF. How do the A9 and F9 compare to the MT and MF?

And finally, what should I expect to pay for a used A9 or F9?

Thanks,

Lane Pryce
Sep-26-2005, 8:33am
Never played a Collings mando but I have an F9.The used F9s are in the $1800.00 to $2000.00 range.Mine is loud and woody and very typically Gibson.The used A9's are getting $800.00 to $1200.00 most without a setup. The Gibson 9's are very good mandolins. They are not dressed out for looks!! I bought mine through the cafe classifides--no problems at all. Lp