PDA

View Full Version : Eastman Mando quality vs year

TonyC
Jul-14-2021, 2:52pm
As I am researching new 'used' Eastman mandolins, I am wondering if I should be aware of changes over the past 10 years or so. Should I be concerned about a 2015 model vs a 2019 model (MD815)? What should I be looking for if there are differences? Manufactured in the same plant? Thanks.

meow-n-dolin
Jul-14-2021, 3:10pm
As I am researching new 'used' Eastman mandolins, I am wondering if I should be aware of changes over the past 10 years or so. Should I be concerned about a 2015 model vs a 2019 model (MD850)? What should I be looking for if there are differences? Thanks.

I am unfamiliar with the MD850, though I have seen the 805 and the 815.

TonyC
Jul-14-2021, 3:55pm

Oops...MD815. Typed too fast.

TonyC
Jul-14-2021, 5:31pm

BTW...how do you like your MD915? I saw one for sale and wondered what it sounded like.

rcc56
Jul-14-2021, 6:52pm
A few years back, I had a 2009 Eastman 505 pass through my hands on a trade. I sometimes wish I had kept it-- it was good enough to gig with. I did some very minor set up work on it and sold for $500. It was a lot of mandolin for that amount of money. The only thing I'll mention is that I had to touch up some tiny chips in the finish, but I don't know whether they were due to careless handling or to any flaw in the finish formula.

The only recent issue ones I have played were 305's. I wasn't impressed by their tone or volume, but after all, they were the lowest end model; and they played in tune [after some adjustment] and appeared to be structurally sound. They were certainly suitable enough for a beginner.

Nobody has ever brought an Eastman to me for repair because of structural problems or a weak neck, so that speaks well for their durability.

meow-n-dolin
Jul-14-2021, 7:25pm
BTW...how do you like your MD915? I saw one for sale and wondered what it sounded like.

Well, I have only had it a bit over a month, though I have been playing it LOT -- a couple hours a day and three -- no, four -- public performances. How does it compare , sound-wise with other quality mandolins I have had? Well I have had a couple of comparable mandolins -- one a modified 70's Gibson F12 which was the loudest mandolin I have ever owned, and an R. L. Givens A6 (#533) which is the sweetest-sounding mandolin I have ever owned. Both are gone now -- the F12 to help pay for grad school, and the Givens lost in a fire. The Eastman is somewhere in between. In the short time I have owned it, is has already "opened-up" a little bit, and I suspect it will keep doing so.

In all honesty, it sounds only a little better than the lower-end Eastmans I have played -- but I always wanted a blonde mandolin, and I admit to liking a little bling in the way of nice woods and tasteful inlays (it also has that in common with the Givens.) I also have a gold-top Eastman as well as an oval-hole F-style, but those aren't directly comparable with the 915, due to differing design as well as material (mahogany backs/sides in the Gold-top.)

Overall, I am very pleased. But if they made an 815 in blonde, I have no doubt I would be just as pleased.

keith.rogers
Jul-14-2021, 8:25pm
As I am researching new 'used' Eastman mandolins, I am wondering if I should be aware of changes over the past 10 years or so. Should I be concerned about a 2015 model vs a 2019 model (MD815)? What should I be looking for if there are differences? Manufactured in the same plant? Thanks.
Short ansoer, I would not be concerned at all.

Eastman was making well-thought-of violins before they branched out into mandolins and arch-top guitars, as well as even flat-tops. They are a small operation and use traditional methods, though adapted for larger production than a single maker, obviously.

The one thing about them is their neck, with a slightly narrower nut and more noticeable V. It's perfect for my hands, but not everyone loves them.

I have a 2009 815/V (was a good friend's) and not long after he got that one, I bought a 605 (before the "6" meant a pickup). I got that one because of how his sounded. Unfortunately, I got distracted by other things, and it sat, so I sold it to fund some recording equipment. That 605 (probably 2011-ish) had anything you could want, IIRC. When I kind of got the bug again this past Spring after setting up our son's entry "The Loar" model, I played a new 505 and it had me leaning hard to a new Eastman, but I knew I wanted an F and pickings were slim. I'd have bought one from The Mandolin Store, where I got the 605, because they talked me into waiting for their re-supply of Eastman Fs - to their loss, it turns out, because on our "breakout" roadtrip in May/June, we stayed with that old friend and he let me talk him out of his 815/V that's been sitting idle for a few years. Great "woody" tone. Of course, it's hard to buy an acoustic without playing it first, but if you can get a decent price, a used Eastman is not going to lose you money, if you decide to go somewhere else.

TonyC
Jul-14-2021, 10:34pm
This is great advice and it speaks directly to my situation. I played a new 815V and loved it. It had a great tone, but also a larger price tag than I can afford right now. However, there is a used 815V model that I am intrerested in and was simply concerned that if it was from a few years ago, the quality might not be where it is today. Thank you for your story and input. If I get the mando, I'll let you know.

meow-n-dolin
Jul-14-2021, 10:48pm
If I get the mando, I'll let you know.

Most definitely let us know! And good luck!!

gtani7
Jul-15-2021, 1:38am
I think the vast majority, like 99+% had good/excellent build quality.

I had a 505 and 605 from 2006 and 2010, they had the characteristic bright tone which i compensated with monel or silk/steel strings. The 505 had good build quality, the 605 had a crazy amount of finish checking and the binding shrunk and cracked/separated in a few places, all cosmetic and I kind of liked it but not everybody would

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/125029-newbie-looking-at-Eastman-mandolins?p=1503624&viewfull=1#post1503624

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/94558-To-Eastman-Or-not-to-Eastman-that-is-the-question?p=1153851&viewfull=1#post1153851

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/80291-Eastman-cracked-finish