PDA

View Full Version : Sabine MT9000 Metrotuner

John Flynn
Mar-16-2004, 4:37pm
I guess I have TAS: Tuner Acquisition Syndrome! Probably I just love gadgets and I can't afford new mandolins, but I can buy a new tuner occasionally.

Anyhow, I already have an Intellitouch, a Seiko, a Quik-Tune, an older Sabine and some off-brand tuner. I like to have one in each of my instrument cases. This past weekend, I bought a Sabine MT9000 Metrotune, a combination tuner, metronome and tone generator. I paid $31 and change for it and I have to say, it's a nice little unit. Good looking, very user friendly controls, nice display and a nifty little carrying case.

I still think the Intellitouch is the all-around handiest for performance use and the Seiko is the most accurate for setting intonation. But for the price and the all-around functionality, this new Sabine is a good unit.

Dolamon
Mar-16-2004, 11:49pm
I've got one of those little demon's too. It's a good unit, I've owned a QuikTune a Korg and some other nameless or at least unmemorable device. The Sabine seems to be a bit easier to use, with a clip on transponder. But - the gem of it is the little, relentless metronome. I couldn't believe how off my rhythm was! It's almost annoying being constantly reminded to "get with it".

But my rhythm is getting better and what it does for odd time signatures is worth the price of the tuner. Can't be beat for the price - just keep the instructions handy for a few weeks. It does have some interesting features which aren't too intuitive.

mandorado
Mar-17-2004, 12:04am
I would agree. Two thumbs up for the Sabine MT9000.

Jaded
Mar-18-2004, 12:56am
I got one recently and I really like it too. If I get one of those clip on things to use with it, will it work well when tuning around other musicians or should I stick with my intellitouch for that?

Don Grieser
Mar-18-2004, 10:08am
The thing I like about the metronome is that it has a volume control, and a headphone output. I've got a metronome with a headphone out, but it's way too loud. This one also has a great woodblock sound. Lots of different rhythms, too.

The tuner seems to lock on the notes nicely. Using a cord isolates you nicely in jams. I'll keep the Intellitouch for a lot of situations, but use the Sabine at home and make use of that metronome. There's no excuse for not playing to a metronome now.

John Flynn
Mar-18-2004, 11:03am
Jaded:

If you got a clip, the Sabine would work technically work tuning around other musicians. The reason I like the Intellitouch better is that once you clip it on, you are truly "hands free." With a unit like the Sabine with a clip, there is always the problem of having a place to set the unit while you are tuning. Sometimes there is a table, music stand or knee available, but sometimes it becomes a juggling act.

Mando Medic
Mar-19-2004, 9:23am
I too like the Sabine 9000 and I have Iso Clips that I use on mine to isolate it from other background noise. If any one is interested in these clips, contact me off line at kenc@wvi.com and I'll give you the skinny.

WV Mike
Mar-19-2004, 11:23am
I have the Sabine 900 and the cheapo version Intellitouch. I use the Intellitouch for most on my tuning and the Sabine for the metronome, plus it serves as a backup tuner. I haven't tried the headphones option with the Sabine. I'll give that a try. I learned of both of these units on this wonderful informative site.

Mike