PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

siagi1999
Sep-19-2005, 6:47am
I was given a Silvertone a couple of weeks ago. I need to find a reputable place where I can have it assessed. I live in chattanooga TN. Perhaps someone can give me some pointers on what a good mandolin is like and what to look for. This model has an adjustable bridge and the numbers on it are L1479 441. What do these numbers stand for?

PlayerOf8
Sep-19-2005, 7:13am
THAT SERIAL"L" NUMBER JUST MEANS THAT IT CAME OUT OF THE HARMONY FACTORY IN CHICAGO. NOT WORTH MORE THAN A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS IN THE BEST CONDITION.

gm

Mando Medic
Sep-20-2005, 11:31pm
I agree that that the instrument is not worth much more that a few hundred dollars at best, but some of those old Silvertones were great starter mandolins. I had one for awhile. If you really need to know it's value, you can send digital photos to George Gruhn in Nashville and I think for 10 or 15 bucks he will give you a quick value. Kenc

siagi1999
Sep-21-2005, 6:18am
thanks for the imput. I have thought that if I am serious about playing I need just to get started on this Silvertone and after a learn a little THEN is the time to think about whether I need a better mandoline. So thanks for the info.
Stan