PDA

View Full Version : Replacement bridge for Gibson A9

dwc
Jun-06-2021, 2:21pm
I recently acquired a Gibson A9 with a bridge pickup. If I wanted to remove the pickup and replace the bridge, what would be a good choice for a replacement bridge?

SBJ
Jun-06-2021, 2:57pm
Check out a Cumberland Acoustic bridge, which worked well for me.

rcc56
Jun-06-2021, 3:21pm
You don't necessarily have to buy the whole bridge. You can get a new Cumberland saddle by itself for $26.50 + shipping from Axiom Inc. www.axinc.net
Or, if you prefer, they sell the complete bridge for $55, but you would have to have the base fitted to your mandolin. Unless you can do that work yourself, the cost for a competent repairman to fit the new bridge would cost an additional $50 - $100.

Tenzin
Jun-06-2021, 3:23pm
I purchased one from https://www.montanalutherie.com/product/traditional-bridge-nickel/. He must have called me three or four times and contacted the original manufacturer about bridge placement. (I wasn't shipping the mandolin and was doing this on my own.). It wasn't 'cheap', but I'm the type that remembers the cost to the penny when I'm unhappy. It's a couple of years and I've made 'normal' weather related adjustments and it works great. 10/10 would use them again. (I have no affiliation btw)

J Mangio
Jun-06-2021, 3:25pm
Golden Gate M201 would be my choice.

dwc
Jun-07-2021, 7:33pm
Thank you all for the suggestions. Whatever I end up going with, I have a luthier/tech who has done lots of work for me over the years.