PDA

View Full Version : GHS Strings

Don Grieser
Mar-16-2004, 3:34pm
I tried a set of GHS A-270 mando strings. They use a 16 for the A string--all the other strings match the J74 set I've been using since day one. I just like that heavier A string, and the other strings seem to give pretty much the same kind of tone as the J74s. They cost alittle more than the J74s, but not if you're throwing out the 15 A and replacing it with a 16.

Anybody had any trouble with GHS strings? Anybody else use them?

Don

jim simpson
Mar-16-2004, 3:59pm
Don,
I am curious about the GHS strings as well. It seems that they are supposed to be less prone to breakage. Could this be true? I have used the J74's forever and didn't think I would change. Has anyone turned in those "player points" for stuff? I think I have enough for a stool and some shirts.
Jim

Michael Lewis
Mar-17-2004, 1:54am
I have used GHS strings for many years. Back in the '80s there was an article in FRETS magazine comparing strings of all sorts, and one point that I thought interesting was that the GHS A260 set (.011, .016, .024, .038, endorsed by Bobby Osborne)has less than 2 lbs. difference in tension between strings. This should give more even response if the instrument is evenly made. GHS makes good strings, as do most all of the current manufacturers.

Don Grieser
Mar-17-2004, 4:28pm
I've turned in the players points. Be ready to pay shipping for your "freebies."

I just ordered a dozen sets of GHS so I'm ready to give them the big try-out.

I've never had trouble with strings breaking except with some DR mando strings.

Tbone
Mar-17-2004, 7:41pm
I prefer GHS over D'addario any day. I never heard that about less prone to breakage, but now that I think about it, there's no doubt in my mind that the GHS break much less frequently than the D'A, in my experience.

ManjoMan
Mar-22-2004, 12:15pm
I've been using GHS strings since 1989 and have not broken
a string since then. But now I must admit that I have been
experimenting with D'Addario EXP74, Thomastik-Infelds, and
am going to give the Elixir's a try. Just need a change to
see if there is anything better than what I've been using.

Ken
Mar-22-2004, 8:59pm
Here is another endorsement for GHS, been using them (mostly A260's) since the early 80's. Can't say I've ever seriously compared them to anything else, never felt the need to.

Ken.

mandowilli
Mar-22-2004, 9:02pm
I use the A250's on both of my old A gibsons as recomended in previous threads to lighten the load, and also also the PF280 mandola strings and the PF285 octave set to much satisfaction.
The J74 EXP are the way to go on an F-5 though, hands down.

willi

Tiderider
Mar-23-2004, 5:14pm
I put a set of GHS Bronze and Silk strings on my A9 last week, so far I like them a bunch. Really brings out the woody sound of the mandolin.

Lee

Pickin_N_Ridin
Mar-24-2004, 1:04pm
I am a BIG fan of the GHS Silk & Bronze strings (GHS_LSB250). It seems like I've tried everything...but I always come back to these. I'll keep trying new strings as they are developed, but somebody's going to have to go a ways to beat these, IMHO.

Jeff Hoelter
Mar-24-2004, 1:16pm
Don,

#I use the 270s (bright or PB) on my main axe exclusively. #I think they're great strings.

Jeff

jswag
Mar-24-2004, 3:16pm
i have used the GHS 270's (BB. & PB) for a long time. I found the tone to be good with the BB, and excellent with the PB. They also gave me more volume than J74,s. Right now I'm using TI's on my F5 and and I really like them. I'm still using ghs on my Amodel and on my Mandola.
Jeff W

blister96
Mar-27-2004, 7:57am
the ghs silk and bronze are my faves, hands down.
love the tone and the feel.

doanepoole
Apr-08-2004, 2:44pm
Resurrecting this post because I just strung a mando up with GHS Phosphor Bronzes, because in a pinch I needed strings for a gig and this is all the local store stocked (way marked up, of course).

Anyway, I found them to be considerably to bright for my tastes, but I'm always trying new strings and don't want to give up yet on the GHS'.

They have a "brightness chart" on the pack that states their Silk + Bronze are less bright, and their Silk + Steel are even less bright (I think that's how it goes anyway).

Is this true?

Do the Silk+Bronze have comparable volume to the Phosphor Bronze?

mike_c
Apr-28-2004, 3:58pm
i also have used ghs a-270 for years..they have the clearest, punchiest tone of any,,and i have tried virtually every string available on the many mandos i have owned- i didn't like them the best on my givens f-5...but i loved them on my monteleone m-5, monteleone f-5, monteleone grand artist, stiver a, cole f-5, gibson f-5, #collings mf-5, ziedler, gibson a-40, schofield f-5 # if they quit making them , i would be bigtime depressed

Scotti Adams
Apr-28-2004, 4:29pm
..dayam..youve got quite a stable of mandos there Mike..but for me nothing but Gibson Monels/Bush set...

levin4now
Apr-28-2004, 9:19pm
...but i loved them on my monteleone m-5, monteleone f-5, monteleone grand artist, stiver a, cole f-5, gibson f-5, #collings mf-5, ziedler, gibson a-40, schofield f-5 # if they quit making them , i would be bigtime depressed
you mean depressed if they quit making strings or quit making mandolins? #Like Scotti said "that's quite a stable..."

wannabethile
Apr-28-2004, 10:11pm
when i had a pair of GHS strings on my mando, i was not impressed. they got a little bit better after i broke them in, but i dont think ill buy them again.

dj9124
Apr-28-2004, 10:23pm
I like the J74's better than the A270's but believe it or not I like the D'Aquisto mediums better than both. I had bought a mandolin from Greg Boyds and he threw in a free pack, that is the only reason I tried them and I love em, they are only $3 a pack at first quality, don't know why they are not that popular.
Dave

dixiecreek
Apr-29-2004, 12:03am
when i had a pair of GHS strings on my mando, i was not impressed. #they got a little bit better after i broke them in, but i dont think ill buy them again.
ditto.

(hi Robert) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

GTison
Apr-29-2004, 8:24am
I used to use them. I DID have string breakage problems but that could have been the way I played or something. What I don't like is that when I don't change them they consistantly put slivers of steel in my freting fingers OUCH. This is a bad problem for me. I liked the tone posibilities but the sliver thing is imposible to overcome. ...Must be something in the formulation of steel or brass that doesn't agree with my hands. I don't have "corrosive hands" and I wipe my strings down. I use J74's FT74, and bill monroes. I'm gonna switch to the monroes soon as I run out of this 10pack of 74s. Ghs?? like em but can't stand em.

wannabethile
Apr-29-2004, 10:04am
hey there, hannah:;):

GBG
Apr-30-2004, 8:59am
Has anyone tried the D'Addario JS74's-stainless steel?