PDA

View Full Version : My new emando

thistle3585
Sep-16-2005, 12:03pm
Here is my new emando. I think the photo on the left really shows off the top. It caught the light well. Specs: Curly Redwood top, mahogany back, med flame maple neck, curly redwood headstock overlay, ebony radiused fingerboard board, Bartolini pickup and satin lacquer. It will eventually have gold Gotoh tuners, but they're on backorder.
Andrew

thistle3585
Sep-16-2005, 12:06pm
Also, here is a sneak peek of the next one.

Antlurz
Sep-16-2005, 3:38pm
Purdy nice pieces! Nicely thought out and everything looks like it belongs! I've been sitting here imagining what the top one would look like if the neck was off, and the curvature of the upper bout looks like it would almost continue to flow right into the cutaway on the other side. To me, that gives it pretty flowing lines. Nice work.

I've been thinking about making a similar critter and wondering if you are using a bolt on neck, and if so, where are you getting the backing plate that's correctly sized for them? I'll admit I haven't done a lot of looking, but it would seem most plates are too big for a good fit.

Ron

thistle3585
Sep-17-2005, 9:59am
No they aren't bolt ons, but you can have backing plates cut to size at any sheet metal shop pretty inexpensive. I have done some out of brass then plated them when I've made my bridges.

I understand what you're saying about the natural curve, but I think it would weaken the neck joint by reducing the gluing area.

earthsave
Sep-17-2005, 10:37am
Very Nice. Beautiful wood choices. I was wondering if you were still planning on building your emando.

thistle3585
Sep-17-2005, 1:49pm
Scot,
I have about six in various forms of completion. I also haven't forgotten about your small travel mando. I have a neck and a body, but haven't had the time to get them together. Maybe in time for Christmas.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'll let you know when I get closer.